Some things I remember !

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
maggie T
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Some things I remember !

Post by maggie T »

Hi,George,You have just brought back another memory i have,I used to put my brother in a wee barrow my grandpa
had made for him ,and run up and down the gas work brae.Great fun happy days.I have to mention to you,that Eddie
your cousin is asking for you.Met him in the super market the other day.Eddie lived over the road from me in Chapelhill mount,in the seventys.My son was friends with Gary(god rest him)The both of them played football in the
field just across from the house.He would have been 46,shame. MaggieT.
sheenaj
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sheenaj »

Going to the beach,walking miles on the hot sand looking for a place to sit.
Sliding in the ice in Ard Acc until the janitor chased us!
Tossing snowballs at each other til our hands were frozen!
Geting a pokie bag of brown honeycomb candy from the candy shop in Raise street.
Sitting in the cab of my Dad's double decker trying to drive the big wheel.[as close as I ever got to driving!]
Sitting on my Mum's wooden tray on my metal skate flying down the hill on Sannox Drive.
Chasing the political guys in their cars at election time to get a shot of their microphones.
Playing chap door run and running as fast as I can from the neighbors :lol:
Happy memories :D
arrangazer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by arrangazer »

Working at Netties tea rooms in Saltcoats, walking from Saltcoats to Stevenston, the Melbourne cafe, Saltcoats picture house,driving my sister Helen to her work in Saltcoats, being at the Saltcoats picture house with my Mum,walking with my Dad in Saltcoats also Dad buying all his daughters clarks shoes in Saltcoats shoe shop.

I liked to walk on the prom saltcoats with my friends, Countess street,the glasgow fair holiday makers, meeting my friends at Saltcoats also sisters, knicker glory ice cream. the orange walk,knowing everyone I met or familiar faces.meeting grandaughter and grandson in Saltcoats ,taking them to Saltcoats.

Isobel
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

hewmac wrote:George, you didnae have far to go home to that warm fire. Those nights on the Cannon hill were magic to us weren't they? With the Cannon Hill under snow and the moon shining which it always seemed to do on those cold still cloudless nights we could see for miles. Us young ones felt so very safe - there wasn't even a question about bad guys being around In those days - they were only in the movies.

There was one year when the thaw didn't come for over a month and the hill was pure ice - I ended up in the swing park a few times and I'm sure a few others might have hit that wall behind the Castle Craigs. Magic memories there and it brought our woodwork skills to the fore too 'cause we made our own sledges didn't we? That stood me in good stead during our early years in Oz when we were chasing a dollar - maybe I should have signed all the things I made. Ermmm that's another wee story for later. Hughie
your right hugh, to get home it was down the hill and over the back wall in Winton Lane. I remember the wee bump at the bottom of the hill, it got most of us, we would fly over it and land in a heap of arms and legs. If you could hang on after that, you ended up in the swings. Great fun!
I remember one year there was a very heavy snow fall, and big drifts formed along that wall you mantioned the one behind the Castle Graigs. All us kids burrowed into the drift and made wee dens, evetually there were so many dens the whole thing fell in on top of all the kids. nobody injured we all came up laughing our heads off. Great days
ellenyoung31
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by ellenyoung31 »

I remember all you have said. I also remember playing at the old mine on the High Rd, and
playing at the Nissan huts, I loved walking up Jacks Rd and looking at the stars, you don't see
them now to many lights to stop us seeing them. I also liked to walk along the rocks.
and going down the bray to the cross roads, on my Bike. Ellen
hears53
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by hears53 »

I remember going to midnight mass and if we were lucky it would be snowing when we came out, when reaching home I could get the lovely smell of mum,s dumpling drying off at the coal fire and dad would give me a glass of home made wine .
Thanks for the memories Cathie
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi Jimmy Barr,

what do you mean, 'dressing up for halloween' ? Surely you mean guising. At least you didn't call it trick or treat.

John D.
danmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by danmac »

Hi,
I remember back in the 50's learning a new meaning of the word MURDER based on the serial killer Manuel:

M- was for the infamous Manuelthe serial killer.
U- was for the town of Uddingston were his family settled down from the USA
R- was for Rutherglen and another killing.
D- was for Durham were he moved to and subsequently killed a taxi driver .
E- was for East Kilbride where he killed 17 year old Anne Kneilnds on a golf course.

R- Was for (Glagow) RANGERS who were getting away with murder quite regularly.

A left footer.
scottyd
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scottyd »

I know this probably beaches all sort of politcaly correct rules but the last post reminds me of playing a game in the 50's involving dares. for some reason I always remember having to do a dare whcih involved running down the road shouting out as loud as I could "Manuel was innocent" !!!!!!
I hadn't a clue who Manuel was !

Milda, do you remember that game ????????
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

I am glad to say I don't,David :) :lol:
danmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by danmac »

Hi all,
I remember getting up very early in the morning together with my brother so that we could hurry down to the beach (somwhere between Saltcoats and South Beach) while the tide was still out and dig for rag worms so that we coud go fishing off the end of Saltcoat's pier. One thing I DON'T remember however, was the name of the ironmongers at the corner of The Braes and Dockhead Street where we used to buy our fishing lines (wrapped around a piece of wood) and spare hooks and weights.Can anyone remind me of this ironmonger's name and whether or not it still exists?

Tony McGuire
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Tony,

Fullarton's; and it's still there, at least it was last year when I was over. Not sure if it's still called Fullarton's.

JD