Some things I remember !

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Some things I remember !

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi Frank,

where have you been? I've missed your posts.

That's right. Johnny Northcote was the barber. He was stuck between Winnings wee shop with the library and Brian Young's father's ice-cream shop, Cavanni's.

I used to hate getting my hair cut there. As I was always a titch, I had to sit on the plank across the arms of the chair that he kept for the weans, long after all the others my own age were sitting in the chair.

JD
frank quinn
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by frank quinn »

Hi Morag,
Ah,m sure you had a dug and a meat pie(tortoise).
years ago(yonder ken) jane and masel went to see your ma & pa
an am sure there was a black dug . Mhairi was in the hoose innaw

frank
danmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by danmac »

John Donnelly wrote:Hi Frank,ox were good frinds.
That's right. Johnny Northcote was the barber
Was Brendan Northcote a member of the family you lalk about? If he was then I am sure that he and Bobby Lennox were good friends. I remember they were at St Marys about the same time as I was and that they used to spend most of their playtime playing heedies near the boys toilets while we others were having a secret smoke! We used to stick a pin through the fag to get as much out of it as possible and it was easier to pass round.
Tony
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi Tony,

Brendan was no family, that I know of, of Johnny Northcote, but Brendan and I were in the same class at St. Micks. I knew that he and Kenny McKinley were good friends with Bobby, whom I also knew at St. Micks. In my time at St. Micks Brendan was not interested in football, - in playing it at least. He was a great Celtic man.

JD.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Frank, we did have a dog when we lived in Hawkhill pl., long after my bone chewing days!a great wee Border collie mix, Jet. Elise and I had been wanting one for ages but one day Mairi came home from school with a puppy in her schoolbag, someone was giving them away down by the school! We schemed away before mum got home about how to get to keep it, and we named her Jet. When mum came in we broke it to her gently, told her we 'had a wee surprise'. Of course she said no, absolutely not! So there's the three of us lassies beseeching her, pleading..we'll take care of her you'll never even know we have her etc., The killing blow came when I said, 'besides we've namer, she's Jet'.
Whit's a mammy to do? We had her for about 20 years and she was a brilliant wee thing. I walked her everywhere, along the shore up to Gourock, over Fairlie Moors, up to Largs and went into a pub for a drink she slid under the barstool like she'd been doing it all her life. You could do that back then, of course you could smoke in them then too. I don't smoke but I think the smoking ban has gone too far. I can see it in restaurants and shops,offices etc., but pubs :roll: They'll be banning darts next in case someone loses an eye!

We did have two tortoises as well, think Mairi still has one, the other wandered of through the field at thee back of the garden. We went out to bring them in and could only find one, dad came out looking too. Next door neighbours then were a deaf and dumb couple, the man was working in his garden and seeing us looking for something kind of grunted to get dad's attention. He made a motion with his hand to make it look tortoiselike and looked enquiringly at dad. Dad nodded and he then made his hand 'walk' towards the field. We thanked him but dad couldn't understand why he didn't either just stop the beast or chap the door and let us know :( We alwayshoped someone found him and gave him a good home!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by elvis1913 »

My Grampa was a great gardener he looked after the ministers garden had the best tomatoes, Ayrshire tatties, cabbage, lettuce,leaks and tumpshies. I discovered a wee ''turtle'' ''tortoise'' never knew the difference, still don't, in his garden and when he found out he said he was going to toss him as far as he could throw him because he was eating holes in his veggies. I had to try and keep him hidden and just let him out to eat when my Grampa was away. But later I knew Grampa was just acting it, he wouldn't hurt a living creature big or small. We had that wee thing for years an every time Grampa saw it he would threaten it just to get me started. aw he was the best Grampa in the world so he was. :cray:
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

no he wisna, Jo, mine was....unless they were the same wan! :yahoo:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
danmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by danmac »

I remember the delight on my mother's face when she heard that the meter man(gas/electric) was on his way :) We used to sit at the scullery table and watched him putting all those shillings into neat piles. Wondering how much the was and what rebate there would be. It did have its irritateing moments though when in the middle of an exciting episode of 'Dan Dare' the meter ran out and in the darkness we were all shouting "quick who's got a bob for the meter.
Tony
elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by elvis1913 »

I remember we would play in the Quarry and build wee forts and hide away in them,we would play for hours and we would go looking for treasures and hide them in the fort. Can you imagine kids doing that today. :good:
frank quinn
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by frank quinn »

Hi elvie,
what that at the "rec"? an if it wis can
u remember whit u yased fur money, when ye wur
playin.? I thought we yased colour glass if memories
remember.!! Ah can remember borrowing some
tatties & turnips frae campbells the farmer & dae ye
ken ah forgoat to gie him them back. Aye, lying in
the corn, looking up to a lovely blue sky, eatin ma
turnip that ah peeled in the burn, happy days.
until a mad man came running shoutin Ah,ll kick fur
arses ye swine yous are.Neverthe less he still did'nae
catch us.----------------------------------------------------------- :lol: :lol: :D
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Fishing for pudducks with rye grass, you had to get a long stalk of grass that still had a part of the root on it, this was curled. We would lie on the road at a drain, the roads were not as busy then, and manoeuvre the root under the front legs ( under the armpits) and lift them up to the grate where you could grab a hold of them. The big fat ones were hard to get out. One day the family doctor stopped his sports car to give me in to trouble for messing about in drains, of course I did,nt listen , spent many a happy hour doing this and it did,nt do me any harm,harm,harm,harm,harm. :lol:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

What did you do with the frogs ?

Anne