Barber Shops Remembered

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Poppy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Barber Shops Remembered

Post by Poppy »

Hughie, I think my brother Joe Gordon worked in Watty Griffen's shop cutting hair.Poppy
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mike mccann »

Hi Poppy,
Joe used to cut our hair when we were much younger . He came to the house as I remember .
Mike
Poppy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Poppy »

Hi Mike
I spoke to my sister Isa in Sydney and she remembered Joe learning to cut hair in Watty's. She said Watty was a queer old man who used to give her the creeps. Watty sacked Joe when he started cutting hair outside the shop for much cheaper than Watty. Joe went every where to cut hair and it earned him money of course. Joe died a couple of years ago in Southend.Poppy
peterm1711
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by peterm1711 »

jarneilh wrote:the barber just through the Station Gates in Stevenston was Wullie Wilson's
Pretty sure I recall Wullie Wilson had a shop up the hill a wee bit from Joe Rankin's pub in the late '60's too.

Aileen Shaw wrote:Hi Morag
Thats right he had the shop across from the Post Office, Peter Grant was working in the shop he stayed in Reid's Ave, that was'nt yesterday.
Peter Grant went on to own his own hairdresser's in Canal Street near the foot-bridge on the bend. It's changed hands now and I don't know where he is these days. I know a few of his relatives, and yes, the Grant's came from Reid's Avenue, as did Wilson Kerr.

maggie T wrote:The girl Ireland took it over after Violet left.
She was a nice lassie the lassie Ireland.she went out to Queensland to live.dont know if shes still there.MaggieT.
I'm sure you're referring to a red-headed girl named Anne Ireland. Anne was in some of my classes at St Andrew's Academy in the early 70's. She married a Stevenston lad I knew well (Gerv's cousin). I went to primary school with him. He also stayed in the same street as me. They left for Australia a good few years ago and are still there.

little plum wrote:There was a barbers across from Stevenston Higher Grade in the red sandstone building, next to the sweety shop.The owners of this shop would come over to the school railings at play time with selection of sweets on a tray.
This barber was called Bobby Haswell. His daughter, Marie, was in my class at St John's Primary. I could be wrong, but I think the family moved away to Irvine.

If memory serves me, I think the sweetie shop was Gourley's.
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

peterm1711 wrote:
jarneilh wrote:the barber just through the Station Gates in Stevenston was Wullie Wilson's
Pretty sure I recall Wullie Wilson had a shop up the hill a wee bit from Joe Rankin's pub in the late '60's too.

If memory serves me, I think the sweetie shop was Gourley's.

Yes your'e right Peter. A guy whos name was Blair, can't remember his first name, had Wullie Wilsons shop at the station before him, then Wullie took it over.
This would be in the 50's.
Idiot - seeks village.
Poppy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Poppy »

Was Bobby Haswell married to Rose McIlhatton from Beggs Terrace Ardrossan. Poppy
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

There was ' Frew ' the Barber next to Togneri's in New St, Stevenston. My Dad worked there until after I was born (no tellin' the year ) and left because of growing Family. So don't know how long after that it was open.

Anne
BARBERBOY
New Poster
New Poster

Post by BARBERBOY »

The barber in new street was my father Bobbie Haswell and was married to Rose McIlhatton. They had 2 children Robert and Marie. We lived in Moorepark road west and then the Riggs. we did'nt move to Irvine but to Corby Northants. I live in Yorkshire and my mother and sister live in Florida. I have fond memerious of Gourley's sweet shop and life at St John's Stevenston and St Peter's Ardrossan.
peterm1711
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by peterm1711 »

BARBERBOY wrote:The barber in new street was my father Bobbie Haswell and was married to Rose McIlhatton. They had 2 children Robert and Marie. We lived in Moorepark road west and then the Riggs. we did'nt move to Irvine but to Corby Northants. I live in Yorkshire and my mother and sister live in Florida. I have fond memerious of Gourley's sweet shop and life at St John's Stevenston and St Peter's Ardrossan.
Hello Robert. Nice to see you posting on here.

You were the year above me at school, so I remember you only vaguely, Im afraid :)

Actually, your Marie was in my class. A very nice quiet girl with jet black hair.

For some reason I thought your family had possibly gone to live in Irvine, but in fact, you went to Corby.

I recall sneaking out of St John's at dinner-time to run round to your father's shop in New Street for the usual short-back-and-sides :shock:

As you will recall, Bunty took a dim view of anyone leaving the school grounds in them days, even for a hair-cut. :mrgreen:
5thBeatle
Settling In
Settling In

Post by 5thBeatle »

Yes I can remember Erskines opposite the Victoria Bar in Saltcaoats. Mostly went in on a Friday, loved listing to the football banter between all the men . Always plenty off comics to read. For some reason I can rememeber three picture frames on wall, all showed scenes of the desert.......strange what you can recall. Baraber had a swing seat that he used when cutting hair. Think it was Terry not sure.
If you don't know where your going, any road will take you there.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

no, it was Jimmy.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Terry Erskine was a classmate and his dad was a barber, had the Canal street shop. Terry was/i s quite a talented musician. His Mum and dad adopted a few kids..Terry was one, then went off and had several of their own..lovely family.and he was one of the nicest boys you could imagine.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis