Barber Shops Remembered

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Ella
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Barber Shops Remembered

Post by Ella »

I remember going to terry erskines with my dad years ago but if I remember right he took bookies lines onthe qt
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

News Street , next to Gourlays opposite the school, Bobby's..then it became..Jim Fergusons.then moved nearer the Cross
Ladies hairdressers, News street .........Yarrs, which became Wilson Kerrs.
Mary Baillies

Saltcoats ...Breckenridge??? either that was the name of the barber or the shop.........it was where Starks is.....Ladies and Gents you went though the Ladies to get to the Gents which was partitioned off
Last edited by stivis on Sun May 19, 2013 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

John Baillie and Wilson Kerr had the New St. shop near the cross mid 60's then I think, they moved up to Townhead St. across from the P.O. I believe Wilson then moved to a shop down by the co-op and Peter(?) Grant worked with him.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Pat Erskine - Princes street Ardrossan and Terry Erskine - Canal street Saltcoats.
Erskine Barbers.jpg
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

stivis wrote: Fri May 17, 2013 10:40 pm New Street , next to Gourlays opposite the school, Bobby's..then it became..Jim Fergusons.then moved nearer the Cross
Ladies hairdressers, New street .........Yarrs, which became Wilson Kerrs.
I remember my wee Maw giving me money and telling me to go into Bobby's for a haircut on my way home from old St.John's primary in Stevenston.
Jim Ferguson had it later on as you say stivis, and turned it into a unisex salon named 'Hairport'. After a few years he did indeed move further up New Street and the salon there was called 'Scraggi Ends' - I remember it well because back in 1990 Jim and staff member Linda did the honours in there when the boss and 3 of us guys from the Butcher's in New Street shopping Arcade all got our heads shaved to help raise funds for 'Cunninghame Cancer Care', now known as North Ayrshire Cancer Care I believe.

Jim eventually closed Scraggi Ends, but I think one or two other's made a go of it there before it lay empty for a while. Jim's been back there a few years now though, although purely as a men's Barber's - but it's a busy wee shop.
Linda, his former employee at Scraggy's, owns and runs a hairdressing salon just a few yards further up from Jim and slightly nearer to the Cross.

Also remember Yarr's that then went on to become Wilson Kerr's. It's now called 'O'Hair', so obviously still a hairdressers to this day.