Sir Robert Boyd

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
ellenyoung31
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Sir Robert Boyd

Post by ellenyoung31 »

http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/prod ... _45339.htm

Hello Group.
I wonder if you have seen this.
best wishes. Ellen. :D
killieroots
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Sir Robert Boyd

Post by killieroots »

Hello Ellen

I noted your post on son of Saltcoats, Professor Sir Robert Boyd (1922-2004), acknowledged as the father of British Space Science.

Here's a little more local info on him. As your link shows, his Saltcoats's born father Willie Boyd (1894-1959) became Head of Science at Croydon Polytechnic. His grandfather was Robert Boyd (1859-1940), a local builder, his grandmother Eliza Pettigrew Fleck (1859-1955). Both born in Saltcoats, they lived at Oakfield, 73 Manse Street. Eliza incidentally was the Aunt of another accomplished Saltcoats son, Alexander Fleck, who became Baron Fleck of Saltcoats, former chairman of ICI etc. I am distantly connected on my Fleck side, my Gt Gt Grandmother, Mary Mitchell Fleck, was the sister of Alexander Fleck, Baron Fleck's grandfather.

Best wishes

David
hazellamb
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by hazellamb »

Hello - I have just found this thread. You may be interested to know that I am Sir Robert Boyd's daughter, and am happy to share any relevant information as well as to find out as much as possible about the family before they moved to the south of England in 1924.I am trying to fill out a family tree and have had some difficulty because of name duplication! Of particular interest is the connection with Lewis Fullarton and his family, from Dockhead Road, Saltcoats in 1830's onwards. I believe his brother, Daniel, married a Janet Boyd. (The name Fullarton has been carried through the male Boyd line for many years.) I am in possession of a series of letters from Lewis Fullarton to his mother, after she appears to have been widowed and he, as the eldest son, left to make a living some miles away. I would be glad to know of Lewis Fullarton's origins, whether Boyds, Flecks or Fullartons had members living on the Isle of Arran and how they earned a living. Thanks to any and all who can point me towards any documents or other evidence! Hazel Lamb (nee Boyd)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Hazel,

You should look at the following link -

The 5/12/1857 edition of the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald intimates the marriage of Janet Fullarton, daughter of Daniel Fullarton, to Robert Boyd at Dockhead Street, Saltcoats.

There are other intimations of possible interest.

http://www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk/ash.php
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

hazellamb wrote:I would be glad to know of Lewis Fullarton's origins, whether Boyds, Flecks or Fullartons had members living on the Isle of Arran and how they earned a living. Thanks to any and all who can point me towards any documents or other evidence! Hazel Lamb (nee Boyd)
Hi, and a warm welcome to threetowners. I wonder if you've seen this post in the family research part of our forums where I mention a combination of the Lewis and Fullarton names in my Arran and Ardrossan background:
http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 67#p126067
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Robert Lewis Fullarton Boyd, scientist, born Saltcoats October 19 1922; died February 5 2004

The father of British space science, he forged vital links with Nasa and the European Space Agency.

Professor Sir Robert Boyd, who has died aged 81, can be regarded as the father of space science in the UK. As director of the Mullard space science laboratory from 1965 to 1983, he created a unique and successful environment in which space science and space scientists could develop to their full potential.

In May 1953, Harrie Massey, then head of physics at University College London (UCL), walked into Boyd's laboratory posing the question, "Boyd, how would you like some rockets for research?" Characteristically, Boyd did not hesitate, and, with that remark, the opening was made for UK scientists to have at their disposal sounding rockets capable of delivering significant scientific apparatus to heights of 100km or more.

Read more