Fearless

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
joantoyboy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

fearless

Post by joantoyboy »

does any one remember fearless?: selling his newspapers on a saturday night in countess st., and some brave heart would yell up the celtic and fearless would run up and down the line for the pictures trying to find out who said , i would give anything for those days gone by. :cry:
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Fearless

Post by wellparkno9 »

I remember Fearless well,with his pram,if was not scrap metal that was in it ,it was papers.He used to say he would fight any Poilisman his size.I think his name was John Crawford? he lived door to Alex White,down at the cottages at the 2ncd. bridge over to the Stevenston shore. Sam.
joantoyboy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

fearless

Post by joantoyboy »

did fearless have 2 daughters? and i always heard he had a lovely home ,GOD BLESS him he wasnt very big but what a character. joan :wink: :wink:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

You could say Fearless was part of our larger family. My late brother Jim McCallum was married to his youngest daughter Susan (Cissie) Crawford - a lovely lassie, Fearless had three daughters - the other two Barbara and Sadie at that time lived in Govan with the granny. Susan was a top scholar at Ardrossan Academy - that would have been in the early 50s. I remember Jim sending me with a note to the Crawford home which was the last cottage on the right in Seabank Street before you cross the railway bridge to the Slabs. Being a wee boy in my cub unifom I was a wee bit scared, but John (Fearless) was well behaved at home - wee Kate his wife ruled the roost. They later moved to the flats on Guthrie Brae.

The story goes that he had a bad accident at Troon shipyard some years before which was why he was the way he was, but I can't vouch for that. I recall a photo in the Ardrossan and Saltcoats herald with 'Fearless' Looking up at a tall policeman and the caption was something like "Can I never meet one my own size". I must admit he must have been a wee bit scary to the children, but he certainly was a character and will be remembered when all us introverts are gone.
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

i remeber john(fearless) very very well, i delivered coal to him and his wife in guthrie brae, i also remember him from when i was a wee boy he would come to our house in new england road every sunday to collect the empty's from the saturday night carry out. and of course there was always a full bottle (screwtap as they were commonly known) kept for him, but he didnt only come to our house he went to a few houses every sunday went home with his pram quite iluberated as i remember lol, i think there is at least one grand daughter living in the town here i think he also had a son or as i can remember there was always a boy about the house in esplanade maybe you can throw some light on that hughie, i would just like to say i remember john with fond memories.
jim barr.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Jim,

Fearless had four grandaughters on the McCallum side. There are two in the three towns. The boy you would have remembered at Esplanade Cottages was Arthur Woodcock, he was Sadie Crawford's son. Fearless had three daughters. Sadie, Barbara and Susan. I see there is a photo of Arthur taken by my brother in the Worthies Page (link to be resolved) He is the double of his father Bill.
Hughie McCallum
Last edited by Hughie on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

A thread worth bumping .....

Was reminded of Wee Fearless when by chance I met up on the net with Hughie Gourlay. Fearless' wife wee Kate Crawford and Hughie's mum Cathy were great mates. I mind how sad wee Kate was when Cathy left for New Zealand - that would have been the late 1950s.
barbara
Settling In
Settling In

Post by barbara »

hi im barbara fearless granddaughter so glad to hear some people remember my granpa with nice thoughts he was indeed a character of saltcoats and i dont have one bad memory only a lot of funny ones my poor gran was a lady and never once touched alcohol she actually died heartbroken for granpa and yes he would have fought any policeman his size only he was 5 foot thanks to all for their posts
Jimmym
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Jimmym »

Hi Joantoy Boy,

I remember Fearless when i was a young boy and what i remember was that john never paid for a taxi after he went to the pub it was the police that gave him a lift home i stayed in 21 Esplanade Cottages next to the bridge across from John god bless him i wish we could all turn back the clock to the good old day's.

Bestwishes : Jimmy morell
barbara
Settling In
Settling In

Post by barbara »

dear jimmy your memory is lapsing granpa wisnae allowed in pubs his local was under the bridge and the police were doing my gran a favour returning granpa home they actually liked him and respected my gran cos there was always somethimg in the pot and a clean tidy house glad to hear your memories though
Jimmym
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Jimmym »

Hi Barbara ,
I know that he was a good man as i liked your granddad and your granny he would niver pass me as he would allways say to me how's young daw after my papa. no harm ment didnt mean he was a bad person he was a very funny man and i know that the police like our granddad because i remember my mum telling me as well .

Bestwishes Jimmy
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

I rember the last time I saw fearless was when I took my children back to Scotland about 1978 and we went to see grease in the La Scala and as we were standing in the queue he came up with his barrow and my kid's were scared and I said don't worry it is only fearless he won't harm you.
Maggie