Fearless

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
barbara
Settling In
Settling In

Post by barbara »

sorry jimmy but i always have been on the defence when fearless is mentioned loved him tae bits even although in my youth i use to be enbarrased to say he was my granpa maybe its because of this i defend his name with pride enjoying the chats though
Jimmym
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Jimmym »

Hi Barbara,
you dont need to be embaraced about fearless as he was a good and funny man and thats what make the world tick pitty theres not more like him and you a right family allways comes first . my mum sends her love and best wishes and thomas as well all so i like talking to you as it brings back a lot of good times when we where all young when i get time i will send you a photo of me and my family .

Bestwishes Jimmy
ellenyoung31
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

subject

Post by ellenyoung31 »

Hi Barbara.
Just to say glad you are in the forum. they are a good bunch,
Where do you stay now. :?:
Best wishes. Ellen. :)
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Fearless

Post by gnyaff »

Hi Barbara,

Lovely to read you remember your Grandad with pride. Of course we all new him to be a character, but there was also another side to him. I met him on many occasions at Campbell Park where he would often be watching his beloved Saltcoats Vics. I had many a conversation with him at half time. He often surprised me with his intellect and his wonderful way with words, he could be very descriptive in his own way, even to the point of not being unlike Billy Connolly.

He was also a perfect gentleman, and had a great respect for the ladies, also the words please and thank you were often in his vocabulary. Despite his eccenctricities he was a lover of children, even though they teased him he always had a smile for them and most everyone else too.
I left Scotland in the sixties, so would not have seen him since then. I have some wonderful memories of him and so do hundreds of others from the three towns. I hope he goes down in Saltcoats folklore and is remembered for many generations to come. The world could be doing with a few more like him. its a pity there isn't a plaque or something in the town to remember him, he most certainly was a Saltcoats Worthy.

I would also like to know when he passed away.

Wee Boney
barbara
Settling In
Settling In

Post by barbara »

sorry have not replied to the lovely memories and kind words from wee boney not being ignorant but my system has been down but atlast up and running again . my granpa sadly passed away in 1980 peacefully in his sleep and my wonderful gran missed him so much she died 9 months later such a strange world she use to verbally only to us wish he would just go away and in the end she couldnt go on without him just wondering if you remember any more of my family if so please keep in touch and if i can do anything to help you with your memories of saltcoats i surely will try my best THANKS ONCE AGAIN : :D
barbara
Settling In
Settling In

Post by barbara »

a wee message to ellen young thank you for greeting me onto forum so glad to have found site yes i still stay in saltcoats and i noticed you now are in the capital have you stayed there long and would you ever reeturn to your hame town not sure which of the three towns you came from yourself you could perhaps fill me in as i know a few youngs from saltcoats :) ps not replied sooner cos of computer problems
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

I too fondly recall the wee man. Every town has it's character but few will ever measure up to "Fearless".

Jim
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Fearless

Post by Hughie »

Fearless's grave at Stevenston - taken 2007.
Click to enlarge
Fearless-grave.jpg
Hughie with nieces Barbara & Kay McCallum (fearless's granddaughters) at Dormanside Road Pollock in Glasgow around 1961
Pollock.jpg
scottyd
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scottyd »

I remember Fearless when I was a wee boy. I was terrified of him !
Probably without cause but you know what it is like when you 6 or 7 - rational thought just never came into it.
elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by elvis1913 »

I have enjoyed reading about Fearless I wish I had met him. I know I would have liked him.

Josephine.
dardanelles11
Settling In
Settling In

Post by dardanelles11 »

hi barbara,
welcome to the board,i knew your family very well. i have very fond memory's of your mum, dad, gran and grandad. i met you a few times when i visited your mum and dad and aunty sadie in dormanside road. also at that time i lived about 200 yards from your aunty barbara in priesthill. your uncle hughie was right about your grand dad having an accident. he was a boiler scaler and worked for a guy called George Nichol. i'm not too sure what happened, but i do know he was layed up for a few months.his boss George Nichol was from liverpool, and he lived in the prefabs at the bottom of Kirkhall drive. fond regards to your family barbara. hughie gourlay xxx
a clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

More memories, positive or negative wanted. Or you can enter the search word Fearless into our search engine. Characters like Fearless should be remembered!