Saltcoats coasters 1950

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Saltcoats coasters 1950

Post by glenshena »

Found these old coatsers in a drawer. When Saltcoats was at its best. Particularly like the one with the Pavillon/boating pond, even the fairground on the Braes. And the swimming pool. Even the little track where the children's train went round. No Aldis in those days. Then there is the one with the Putting Green Hut and old Band Stand. Many's a game of putting I had there.
And the beach with the ice cream hut and vans. I counted four. Great days. Whats's there now?
[img]
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Saltcoats coasters 1950

Post by bonzo »

They are brilliant Jean, a bit before my time but thanks for sharing :good:
Those wimin were in the nip.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

glenshena wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:01 pm And the beach with the ice cream hut and vans. I counted four. Great days. Whats's there now?
Just the beach left now no ice cream vendors on Saltcoats beach, but there is a ice cream van appears occasionally at the Ardrossan side.
A wee note though, going by the flats pictured on the braes I think the coasters are a bit later than 1950 but absolutely great blasts from the past. Thanks for posting them.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

A real blast from the past Jean - thanks for sharing.

Mx
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I remember while doing my apprenticeship as a moulder in Winton Foundry, Ardrossan, Jim MacIntyre and Ronnie Yuille making the mould for that cast iron bowl in the garden beside the Stanley / Galloway Burn - that was around 1958. :think:
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Would anyone recognise the piper? Looking closer on the beach scene, I can make out three ponies brought down for pony rides on the extra busy days. Also the Westfield Hotel, very popular in the 50s/60s. Wonder why it was knocked down. Meekan, do they still put lovely flower beds in the ground at the Galloway Burn as by the photo? And it made me laugh to see the warning 'No Buses' in Melbourne Road. On a good day buses would come down from Glasgow full of Day Trippers and park anywhere. Great Days, great memories. Now with all the jellyfish in the sea, very few people seem to go swimming in Saltcoats Beach.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

43409188-B76A-404B-8DE5-1544FB464BFB.jpeg
Sadly these are the banks of the Galloway burn today.
I see volunteers in Stevenston have been weeding the flower beds in New Street and asking for donations of bedding plants. Don’t ask me why the council seem to have abandoned the three towns gardens. I have for a long time thought that Irvine and Largs get preferential treatment regarding flower beds in the area. :smt102 :smt102
cadoganman
Settling In
Settling In

Post by cadoganman »

Wonderful memories from your coasters especially the beach views from the Westfield side. Does anyone remember the 4 benches on the prom at the bottom of Winton Rd. just behind the ice cream stall which formed a square? Inside this square was a draughts board formed with red and cream stone tiles where the pensioners used to play draughts. The large wooden draughtsmen with a metal staple on top were moved by the players sitting on the benches using broom handles with a hook on the end. At the end of the day the draughtsmen were stored in the cupboards underneath the benches.

The coaster on the bottom right with the bandstand reminds me of midnight putting and the putting hut. On many a sunny Glasgow Fair day the loudspeakers would echo with this plaintive call “Has anyone lost a little five-year-old boy called Jimmy. Would Jimmies parents make their way to the putting hut behind the bandstand where little Jimmy is waiting to be claimed” Changed days indeed.