Old Bus Route the Villas to Parkhouse Garage

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Old Bus Route the Villas to Parkhouse Garage

Post by stivis »

As it says
It ran from the Villas down Lundlholm Rd and left into Caledonian Rd
Rt into Shore Rd into Station Rd into New Street
Lt at the Cross into Fullarton Place/Boglemart St
Right at the Grange into Glebe St on to MayVille Street
Left into Glencairn Stret and on till morning( oh please yourselves).The High Road (and High Road Saltcoats)
Left into Sharphill Road till you got to the Argyll Road /Braehead Place(Guthrie Road) staggered crossroads

Where did it go from there?
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Old Bus Route the Villas to Parkhouse Garage

Post by hahaya2004 »

Stivis, I'm not sure if that was the bus I took to the academy, so this is very iffy.
I got on at the corner of Union St. and Raise St. Then up Raise St., Sharphill Rd., across the High Rd., along Dalry Rd. for a bit, then left through the 'scheme' as we called it. I'm not sure of the route there, possibly Sannox Drive, Adams Ave., McKillop Place and then to the High Rd. and Parkhouse garage.
From Argyle Rd. to Union St. it may have been left into Springvale St. and then left again to Union St.
This was 1963-65.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Think that was an earlier route possibly titled
Villas to Ardrossan via New England
I do remember the bus going along Union Street and turning into Raise Street
there was a bus stop on Union Street where Nixon's yard was , next to where an army cadet's building was (it's still there and where the North Ayrshire Woman's Aid is)
How does this sound ?
the bus went down Sharphill Road turned Right into Argyll Road
then turned Left into Springvale Street and
then Left into Union Street,
then left into Raise Street then up to the staggered crossroads and
Right into Braehead Place(Guthrie Road)
Down Guthrie Brae and right into Canal Street
and on to the Station
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Stivas I thought that bus route was Shoreroad , the cross, Canal Street, Saltcoats station, Ardrossan Road, Glasgow Street, Dalry Road, Stanley Road, Kirkhall Drive,and on to Parkhouse road??
Although not sure if my memory is playing tricks
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

No the route was the one that went right at the Grange, they were worded differently, and they had a different pick-up point at Stevenston Cross
, I'm incline to think the pick-up point was nearer the Bogelmart, and the Hayocks bus stop was nearer New Street

One might have had the title in brackets via Springvale and the other Pillar Box where ever that was
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Stevenston Pillar Box was the end point for the Clyde terrace bus - although occasionally it had a destination of Lundlhome Road - so not sure where either of these end points were.
madge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by madge »

Lundholme Road started at the end of Caledonian Road in Stevenston and continued to Ardeer Factory. Pillar box was situated at Ardeer Villas which were houses for ICI employees .

Madge
Trust in God but row away from the rocks
Newenglander
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Newenglander »

Phew it's awhile since I posted but bus routes are something of a speciality so here goes.

The Shore road bus has had various names through the years the most enduring being Stevenston Pillar Box but it did also have Stevenston Lundholm Road and Stevenston Ardeer Villas as a destination dependant on housing development and road development. It used to park on rough ground on Lundholm Road near Ardeer Villas and turn round there before it was extended by the 1970s to Ardeer factory car park/bus park.

The Ardrossan terminus was of course firstly the Ardrossan Parkshouse road stance. Before my time in the late forties early fifties it left the stance and came along Perkhouse road but as the new housing estates were built it was the first service diverted in to what would be remembered as the Beggs Terrace area onto Stanley road and down Dalry road. Later in the fifties due to traffic court battles with the nationalised Wesern SMT the Kilmarnock Route was extended into Beggs Terrace and the Shore Road bus then reverted to leaving the Parkhouse Road stance and missed the scheme out altogether to go down Glasgow Street. It was 1961 when the building of housing at Clyde Terrace saw the route amended to serve Eglinton Road, Dalry road Stanley Road, Millglen road and Clyde Terrace to Lawson Drive. This again was related to other developments which involved traffic courts and objections from operators to each other's proposed plans for services. Outwith Ardrossan the route went very much in a straight line alond south beach and Ardrossan Road to Canal Street and Stevenston Cross and down New Street.

I'll xome to later developments but as the 1960s is when I grew up it's important to remember that from about the late 1940s the importance of the Ardeer Factory meant that various worker buses to the factory left various parts of north Ayrshire and Western SMT were successful in gaining a bus that left New England and went along the High Road and down to the Grange before going down New Street and that continued until the 1970s as did school buses which did similar routes but these were not actual route variations of the public service and in many cases were supposed to be restricted to Factory workers or schoolchildren only.

The first variation was a fairly shortlived extension to Greenacres once an hour in the late 1970s but really the only real change of note came on Sundays. from 1980 as an economy measure the Sunday High road and Shore road buses were combined to provide a service from the stance to either Hayocks or Ardeer every half an hour. This meant Clyde Terrace was served hourly on a Sunday by a bus on the Kilmarnock service.

In 1981 the advent of one man operation meant that the service in Ardrossan was formed into a loop to use Weir Road and St Margarets road to get to Clyde Terrace. One man operation took place in 1983.

I'll do a second post about the post 1986 deregulation but peobably that's enough to digest about he way it was.

Those interested in my 2016 posts on the High Road services should be able to find them. I should acknowlege here the reference to George Heaney's excellent history of A.1. for some of the dates of these changes.
sheenaj
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sheenaj »

George Heaney wrote 2 books. One dedicated to the The anniversary of A1 Bus service and latest a more detailed version came out 2016. Both have excellent details of these buses.