Ardrossan centenary

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Ardrossan centenary

Post by meekan »

IMG_0937[536].jpg
IMG_0937[536].jpg (10.86 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
Has anyone got one of these beakers I must just have been a baby when it was given to me I also have one that my brother was given.
It is made from aluminium and presumably it was given to youngsters to commemorate 100 years as a burgh.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan centenary

Post by George Ardrossan »

Meekan

I've also got a centenary beaker but it wasn't given to me in 1946 - I'm far, far too young. :D

Your beaker looks shinier and in better condition than mine which was given to me about two years ago by a friend whose mother had died. She was a long-time Ardrossan resident and was probably given in at the centenary. Does anyone know if everybody in the town got one? Were they free of did folk have to buy them?

George
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

George
I think they must have been given to children under a certain age, as I mentioned I also have my older brother’s beaker but my oldest brother never had one.
My mother had them sitting in a display cabinet and our names were etched on them. I doubt if you had to pay for them though because money would be tight in late forties.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Meekan,

Not only do I not have one of these, I don't recall every having seen one. Three of my late brothers lived in the town at that time, so I don't think they were given to children to celebrate the centenary.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

meekan wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:10 am My mother had them sitting in a display cabinet and our names were etched on them.
Meekan
There is no name etched on the beaker that I have. How come your names were etched on yours?

George
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

George
Someone in the family probably my dad etched (scratched on) our names on the back. Not done professionally and starting to fade now.
Penny
I’m not sure how they were distributed and as I said my oldest brother never had one.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

I never got one either . Nor did I ever see any belonging to my cousins. I am sure if they were given out free my Dad would have made sure I got one.