Tank traps dalry road

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Lee2217
New Poster
New Poster

Tank traps dalry road

Post by Lee2217 »

I’m looking for some info
Does the concrete block in the picture have anything to do with the tank traps across the road
Attachments
4EC86A61-9F43-43C1-8348-F6F9CCAAE5C5.jpeg
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tank traps dalry road

Post by Hughie »

Hi Lee, welcome to threetowners. I had a look at the location of the article in your image on Google Earth, (see below) I don't think it's to do with the tank traps. The location of it to my way of thinking would put it perhaps in the middle of the original toll house that stood there during the war - when I wore a younger man's clothes. :wink:

My thoughts are that the tank trap anchors on the opposite side of Dalry Road would originally have had corresponding anchors on the toll house side of the street.
Tank traps 2.jpg
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

If that thing was there when we were boys Hughie, I must have missed it when passing by - a million times :lol:

It isn't mentioned either on Secret Scotland: -

https://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index ... nTankTraps

Tom McGrattan also posted a photograph of the shop being built in July 1974, and I don't think it's visible then??

download/file.php?id=3810&mode=view
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

These photos of the tank trap covers across from Alpine Stores in Dalry Road were taken in September 2005 - and they are still there.

There are other tank traps covers in Glasgow Street - also still there.

Originally, they spanned the full width of the road but were removed when the road was resurfaced. When the plates are lifted, strong metal posts can be placed in the holes. The traps were intended to stop tanks making progress along the road during the second world war. There were other tank traps on the roads near Ardrossan Harbour but they are no longer there.

George
Lee2217
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Lee2217 »

Hughie wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:37 am Hi Lee, welcome to threetowners. I had a look at the location of the article in your image on Google Earth, (see below) I don't think it's to do with the tank traps. The location of it to my way of thinking would put it perhaps in the middle of the original toll house that stood there during the war - when I wore a younger man's clothes. :wink:

My thoughts are that the tank trap anchors on the opposite side of Dalry Road would originally have had corresponding anchors on the toll house side of the street.
Thanks hughie I wasn’t sure if another block was placed on the other side of the road at the side or behind the trap covers
Lee2217
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Lee2217 »

George Ardrossan wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:24 pm These photos of the tank trap covers across from Alpine Stores in Dalry Road were taken in September 2005 - and they are still there.

George
Thanks George
I can’t seem to find any others on the uk
It would appear the 3 towns ones are the only ones left?
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

I don't remember seeing these tank traps though I must have walked over them hundreds of times going to Eglington School.
I do remember the barricade that was built across Glasgow street near where Barr street is, There were two barricade's really one from each side of the road overlapping in the middle, leaving only a small gap to let a car through, but not a tank.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

The more I look at the original photo, I keep thinking that it is a concrete block meant for closing off lanes while road-works are taking place. Thus the metal hook things on the top to facilitate easy placing / removing.

JD.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

JD, The thought crossed my mind too that it might be a concrete block associated with a road closure, but can I ask - "Where are you seeing "the metal hook things"? I thought it was a plastic bread basket sitting on it????? And, if it's always been there, how on earth did they succeed in roughcasting the wall of the shop?
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi PT,
I see those red things as pieces of metal embedded in the concrete to enable a crane to be attached.
I have no idea how long the thing has been there.
Just trying to be helpful. :D

JD.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I’m pretty sure the blocks weren’t beside the original toll house. They look like road diversion blocks used when major highway repairs are being carried out, or where roads are closed off.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

JD, you may be absolutely right, I just thought it was a plastic bread/delivery basket of a type I've seen outside the shop on previous occasions. Maybe we'll both turn out to be right and the basket is obscuring a hook or other lifting mechanism :D .