Saltcoats Draughtboard - inauguration

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Saltcoats Draughtboard - inauguration

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald - June 1937
Saltcoats Draughtboard Popular.

Saltcoats is taking as a duck takes to water to the new draughtboard on the prom. at Melbourne Park. Play started at 11 a.m. last Saturday, when it was officially opened, or uncovered, or whatever it is you do to a draughtboard—by exProvost Kennedy, Mr John Miller, Town Chamberlain; Mr. George Harley, Burgh Surveyor, and Mr John McNay, Joint Town Clerk, were also present. The ex-Provost and Mr McNay played the opening game, which was much enjoyed by à large audience. ex-Provost Kennedy being the victor.

Great enthusiasm.
Thereafter play proceeded, and so much did some players like this novelty that they did not go home for a meal, but played game after game, until 10 p.m., closing time. There is no charge for this game, which is played with long, hooked poles and wooden ''men" from the seats set round the "board." Four ties were played on the board on Wednesday night in a competition of 16 competitors for ex-Provost Kennedy's offer of three prizes-10/-, 7/6, and 5/-. The final round will be played on Saturday evening, the referee being Mr John Warnock, 32 Sidney Street.

From what I recall it was still fairly popular in the mid fifties
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Saltcoats Draughtboard - inauguration

Post by meekan »

Yes I used to watch it for hours but don’t think I ever played it at Saltcoats. I did play a few times while on annual holiday in Rothesay. Three towns had a lot of summer outdoor activities in those days.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I think there was one too at the putting green on the South Beach at Ardrossan. For those who are having difficulty imagining it, the squares were painted on the ground, the large wooden playing pieces had loops on the top, and the players had poles with hooks on the ends to connect with the pieces. If I remember right too, the players sat on benches opposite each other.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

yes used to watch the old men playing when I was a boy, I remember other pieces had a slit in them so when u got one piece to other end of the board,it was put on and the slit fitted over the hook
Brvhrtjimmy (James Barr)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

You're right Jimmy, I had forgotten about that. This allowed you to make the 'doublers'.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Penny Tray wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:21 am I think there was one too at the putting green on the South Beach at Ardrossan.
I remember that one as well it was beside the wooden hut/shop/shelter come service area for the two putting greens.