Wallneuk Children's Home, Bradshaw Street Saltcoats

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
aboyle71
New Poster
New Poster

Wallneuk Children's Home, Bradshaw Street Saltcoats

Post by aboyle71 »

I am seeking information on Wallneuk Home or House as part of a Genealogy project I am researching.

I believe from information I already have that this home was owned by Sir Peter Coats.

Any photos or information as to the exact location of the home would be greatly appreciated.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Wallneuk Children's Home, Bradshaw Street Saltcoats

Post by Penny Tray »

Presumably you will know already that - "In the 1880s Peter Coats established and maintained the 'Wallneuk Home' at Largs for Paisley children in need of sea air....." - Page 7 Renfrewshire Local History Forum & Authors.

Also, Slater's Directory of Scotland, 1886 , shows 'Wallneuk Home,' Bradshaw Street, Saltcoats, accompanied by the name JANE CLARK.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
aboyle71
New Poster
New Poster

Post by aboyle71 »

Thank you Penny Tray.

I was unaware of the Largs home and the reference you have given . I will look into this.

FYI At the time of her death in 1883 my 2xGreat Grandmother was Matron of the home in Saltcoats but I have no other information about her or the home.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Do you have your 2 X Great Grandmother's name?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

The Largs Wallneuk home was still going in 1898 according to a report in the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald. The Saltcoats home was up for sale in 1888. The following appears in the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald at that time.

PROPERTY IN SALTCOATS For Sale, by Public Roup, within the FACULTY HALL, St. George's Place, Glasgow, on WEDNESDAY, the 7th day of November, 1888, at 2 o'clock, PM,
THAT DWELLING HOUSE, No. 14 BRADSHAW STREET, SALTCOATS, recently occupied as the "Wallneuk Home,' containing 2 Sitting-Rooms, 5 Bed-Rooms, with Kitchen, and excellent Offices. Feuduty, 4s. Upset Price, £650.
For further particulars, apply to CAPT. ROBERTSON Dunmore Cottage, Saltcoats, who will show the premises ; or to JAMES H. DUNN, Writer, Paisley who has the Titles and Articles of Roup.
aboyle71
New Poster
New Poster

Post by aboyle71 »

Thanks to both Hughie and Penny Tray for info on this.

My 2x Great Grandmother was Elizabeth Adam (nee Cook) born 1818 died 1883.