Road bridge - top of Barrie Terrace?

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Road bridge - top of Barrie Terrace?

Post by Hughie »

Couldn't work out where the mentioned gas works in this article would have been. A total guess on my part - was there to be a bridge over the top of the Caledonian Railway at the top of Barrie Terrace that never eventuated? Any other suggestions?
To Gasworks.jpg
From the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald 16, MARCH 1900

Christening a Street - Making History.
The Town Clerk said lord Eglinton's surveyor had sent in a section of the new road off South Bench Road. He suggested that for convenience the street should have a name.

Mr Barrie -"That's the road leading to our new gas works".

The Town Clerk favoured Holm Road. Mr Bennett, with memories of the municipal Majuba, Suggested Plantation Street. The two bailies condescended on Holm Drive. Mr Nicol suggested Gas Avenue. Bailie Harvey thought they should ponder over it for a month. Then Bailie Smith had an inspiration.
Bailie Smith - Why not call it Barrie Street! Capt. Shields seconded. Mr Barrie suggested "Terrace" instead of street. Barrie Terrace the bairn became.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Road bridge - top of Barrie Terrace?

Post by hahaya2004 »

Hughie,
On the 1909 map Barrie Terrace is a short street. It doesn't seem to have reached the Gas Works.
There might have been a change of plan.
Barrie Terrace
https://maps.nls.uk/view/82867038
Gas Works
https://maps.nls.uk/view/82867011
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

hahaya2004 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:27 am There might have been a change of plan.
Hi Irene, thanks for that, I agree. It would have been costly, and for no apparent reason, as there already was a road bridge to Parkhouse road just round the corner in Hunter Avenue.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Hughie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:52 am Christening a Street - Making History.
The Town Clerk said Lord Eglinton's surveyor had sent in a section of the new road off South Bench Road. He suggested that for convenience the street should have a name. Mr Barrie -"That's the road leading to our new gas works". The Town Clerk favoured Holm Road. Mr Bennett, with memories of the municipal Majuba, suggested Plantation Street. The two bailies condescended on Holm Drive. Mr Nicol suggested Gas Avenue. Bailie Harvey thought they should ponder over it for a month. Then Bailie Smith had an inspiration. Bailie Smith - Why not call it Barrie Street! Capt. Shields seconded. Mr Barrie suggested "Terrace" instead of street. Barrie Terrace the bairn became.
It is interesting to note that George Barrie, after whom Barrie Terrace is named, was involved in choosing its name! He was a coal merchant and Ardrossan councillor who was born in 1846. He died on 6 August 1908 at his home at 19 Barrie Terrace. It is not uncommon to name streets after councillors but rare that one lives and dies in that very street. It is even rarer to play a part in naming a street after yourself! George Barrie's house is in the centre of the photo below.

George
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

George, I don't remember houses like that in Barrie Terrace. Google maps shows different house for that address. That pic is how I remember Barrie Terr.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Bob

My picture is definitely of Barrie Terrace and is very similar to the screenshot below from Google Maps.

Barrie Terrace appears to have been built in two stages - one in the early 1900s and one, perhaps in the 1940s. The more recent Barrie Terrace houses are shown below.

George
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

https://goo.gl/maps/GmmwY1wBCF82
This is the pic I got from google maps

Netta
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

The bottom pic is how I remember Barrie Terrace.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

So the first pic is down where road turns round to Hunter avenue. Must have walked past those houses for years and not paid any attention.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

bobnetau wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:06 pm https://goo.gl/maps/GmmwY1wBCF82
This is the pic I got from google maps
Looks like Google got that wrong, Netta. That image takes you half way up Barrie Terrace into what I recall as the public housing area.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Google getting it wrong, Hugh, Surely not😂
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Bob, Hughie

The Google Maps screenshot below shows the older part of Barrie Terrace on the left and the newer part on the right. The change from older to newer takes place around the centre of the photo.

George