Explosions at Ardeer Factory

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
marissadelvalle
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Re: Explosions at Ardeer Factory

Post by marissadelvalle »

Hello... my name is Marissa and I am daughter of Robert Durnan. I had a random thought of my dad who passed away in 2003. To make a long story short... my dad moved from Scotland to Hong Kong... then to the USA. His brother was Graham Durnan.
My dad told me that he didn't know much about his father Charles Durnan, but knew that he had passed away in a factory explosion.
I now reside in thee USA and have a family of my own. I'd love to learn more about my Scottish side of my family
Last edited by marissadelvalle on Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Marissa,

In case you haven't seen it, I have previously posted the following news item:-

GLASGOW HERALD
12 MARCH 1954

Three men were killed and four others injured yesterday in an explosion at the I.C.I. factory at Ardeer, Stevenston.

None of those killed was an I.C.I. employee.

The three –

SAMUEL PATTISON, Gateside, Barrhead;
CHARLES DURNAN, 13 Millglen Road, Ardrossan; and
ROBERT MULDOON, 16 Raise Street, Saltcoats – were employed by the firm’s outside contractors at present working in the factory. All were married.

The injured –

ANDREW McDOWALL, Barrhead;
GEORGE ANDERSON LENNON, East Lodge, Kerelaw, Stevenston;
RICHARD BALL, 25 Reid Terrace, Saltcoats; and
JOHN McARTHUR BLAKE, 9 Hill Place, Ardrossan –

were taken to Kilmarnock Infirmary and later given blood transfusions.

Three of the injured are Ardeer workers.

The explosion occurred shortly after 8 a.m. during a denitration operation. Its force was felt over a wide area and houses in neighbouring towns were shaken.

An official statement issued by the Nobel Division of I.C.I. Limited said that the cause of the explosion was not known but a full investigation was being carried out.

Netta from Australia has also made a related comment on this particular topic.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Penny Tray wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:06 pm Marissa,

In case you haven't seen it, I have previously posted the following news item:-

GLASGOW HERALD
12 MARCH 1954

Three men were killed and four others injured yesterday in an explosion at the I.C.I. factory at Ardeer, Stevenston.

None of those killed was an I.C.I. employee.

The three –

SAMUEL PATTISON, Gateside, Barrhead;
CHARLES DURNAN, 13 Millglen Road, Ardrossan; and
ROBERT MULDOON, 16 Raise Street, Saltcoats – were employed by the firm’s outside contractors at present working in the factory. All were married.

Netta from Australia has also made a related comment on this particular topic.

Graham Durban was in my class at school and I remember the headmaster coming in to the class and taking him out. That was to tell him his father had been killed.
Graham had already heard rumours that his dad had been killed but I tried to tell him it was a Mr Durnie that had died. But poor Graham it was his dad.Often wonder what became of him. He was a very clever boy.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

marissadelvalle wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:30 pm Hello... my name is Marissa Delvalle and I am daughter of Robert Durnan. I had a random thought of my dad who passed away in 2003. To make a long story short... my dad moved from Scotland to Hong Kong... then to the USA. His brother was Graham Durnan.
My dad told me that he didn't know much about his father Charles Durnan, but knew that he had passed away in a factory explosion.
I now reside in Victorville, California and have a family of my own. I'd love to learn more about my Scottish side of my family
Marissa, I have just seen this post. Can you tell me what became of Graham Durban?
He was a lovely boy at school and an excellent student.