Banks & Braes

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
ianbaintn
Settling In
Settling In

Banks & Braes

Post by ianbaintn »

Does anyone know the name of the shop that became The Banks & Braes? Next to the Criterion pub.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Banks & Braes

Post by down south »

I presume you're talking about the Banks and Braes public house ? I remember it as the Braes Bar, and then being extended onto the site of some shops to form the Banks and Braes. The shops in question were McAllister's the bakers, and Greer's sweetshop.

Hope this helps.

Susan
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

If we're talking about the same premises, I remember the Bank's and Brae's in Saltcoats well.
Although connected internally, they had separate entrances at the front - one was a Lounge Bar and the other a traditional Pub.
I'm sure they then later went on to become Sullivan's Lounge and Sawney Beans Bar for a number of years.

Down South - Do you think McAllister's the Bakers who had a business there are the same family who've gone on to establish 'The Kandy Bar' with outlet's in both Dockhead Street and Hamilton Street nowadays?
ianbaintn
Settling In
Settling In

Post by ianbaintn »

Thanks for the response Susan .
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Yes Michael, I think it is the same McAllisters. It says above the door of the Kandy Bar that the business was established in 1929, but the Kandy Bar itself ( the Hamilton Street branch; the Dockhead Street one opened in 1972 ) first opened in the late 1960s, about the time when the old McAllister's bakery was being demolished.

Susan
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

michaelm wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:06 pm
I'm sure they then later went on to become Sullivan's Lounge and Sawney Beans Bar for a number of years.
Gardeners before Sawney Beans Michael.
Those wimin were in the nip.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

bonzo wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:01 pm Gardeners before Sawney Beans Michael.
For some reason I forgot all about Gardeners. :)

Strange to think that Sullivan's is now a Coffee shop and Sawney Bean's is a charity outlet.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Oh Michael I tried my best to keep them as pubs in my younger years :lol:
Those wimin were in the nip.
GarryT
Settling In
Settling In

Post by GarryT »

I’ve always thought that Gardiners was named after wee Bobby G who was one-time manager of the Braes Bar. No?
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

GarryT wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:02 pm I’ve always thought that Gardiners was named after wee Bobby G who was one-time manager of the Braes Bar. No?
Yep, you're probably right there Gary T.

Coming from Stevenston I well knew of the Bank's and Braes of course, but never frequented them all that much - though when bonzo mentioned Gardeners earlier the name immediately rang a bell.
GordMac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GordMac »

The Dockhead Street McAllister bakers was an uncle to John Mcallister who started the Kandy Bar.Him and his wife owned a house in Border Avenue,and John and his family stayed in Argyle Road.The Dockhead st.bakers closed down in the late sixties,while John and wife Jean took over Norman Mcleods sweet shop beside the La Scala booking office across the road from the Crown.He moved to Hamilton Street in the mid sixties and the rest is History.It is now being run by Stephen,John’s youngest son and is making a great success of it.
Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

"In the recessed space or loan stood a famous old well. In continuation, past Sarah’s, were several houses terminating in M‘Alister’s bakery establishment. In the triangular space itself lay the houses, yards, and gardens of the Wilsons, the successors in the carrying trade of Saltcoats in pre-railway times."

This mention of M'Alister's bakery comes from "Saltcoats, Scotland's Quaintest Burgh".
There is no date with the booklet but I'd put it about 1910. It is also quite difficult for me to pinpoint the exact location but I'd place it in the rectangle somewhere between the town hall and the railway.

The booklet also mentions Herdman's bakery between Dockhead Street and Countess Street.

Scott McCallum