Local sandstone

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Local sandstone

Post by meekan »

I have noticed that there has been a lot of scaffolding erected around stone buildings locally. (Restoration work taking place) It started me thinking about where the stone could have been quarried from originally. Lots of early twentieth century buildings were built using either red or grey sandstone, transport at this time would be very basic so were there quarries locally?
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Local sandstone

Post by Penny Tray »

Meekan,

There was a sandstone quarry on the piece of land behind what is now Eglinton Road/Caledonia Road and Young Street. And there was another on the piece of land behind what is now Montgomerie Street/Caledonia Road/Young Street and Glasgow Street or in other words in the vicinity of the former Coal Ree/Railway Turntable.

The following map has been previously posted: -

https://www.threetowners.net/forum/down ... &mode=view
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
mcgrattan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by mcgrattan »

wwertyuikl;'.JPG
Quarry at Caledonia Road, Ardrossan. The building on the extreme right is the Crescent Bar, (Tap Shoap).

Tom McGrattan
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Tom,

I was assuming the quarry was the individual 'shape' immediately to the right of the text - "Old Quarry (Sandstone)" - on the map. Your photograph however, and I wouldn't argue with, seems to suggest it was actually on the opposite side of Caledonia Road and nicely pin-pointed by the indisputable presence of the Tap Shoap. Either way, for the purpose of Meekan's enquiry, definitely it that area.

The individual shape mentioned may even indicate a previous quarry hole subsequently filled with water.

I have also previously posted the following newspaper article. Depending upon where Glasgow Street "ended" in 1822, hinges which of the two quarry holes the men might have fallen into:-

THE EDINBURGH ADVERTISER
24 DECEMBER 1822

On Monday night about 12 o'clock, Hugh Millar and Walter Jameson, left Ardrossan for West Kilbride, the place of their residence, when melancholy to relate, owing to the darkness of the night, and being a little intoxicated, they went off the road at the end of Glasgow Street, and were both precipitated into a free stone quarry, a depth of thirty feet, with about two feet of water at the bottom. Hugh Millar was much bruised by the fall, but managed to swim to the opposite side, and got out of the water. Jameson had fallen on his head, which was much cut and bruised, and sunk in the water to rise no more. The body was found next morning.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

On the Island of Arran, in the small village of Corrie, there is a wee harbour called "Sandstone Quay", at the side of the harbour there is still to this day a large pile of Red Sandstone Blocks all cut to a square shape about the right size that would be used to build, for instance "Eglington School".
I suspect that is really where a lot of the Red Sandstone that was used in Ardrossan came from.
I have on idea why all these Block at the Harbour were left behind, perhaps the Job was finished.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

I was told by my Nephew (Stevenston born/died ) that there was a Red Sandstone quarry in Stevenston at one time. My grandfather who was a stonebreaker ,before living in Ardrossan ,lived in Stevenston.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller