Ardrossan Highland Games & Australian Celtic Festival

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Ardrossan Highland Games & Australian Celtic Festival

Post by Hughie »

Hope all you locals in the three towns support the Ardrossan Highland Games this coming week-end. I'd be going if I was there, but I'm in Australia. Our Australian National Celtic Festival is on the same weekend, so it's a no-brainer... a 20 hour long haul flight and all that that entails, or a three minute walk to our Celtic festival. Here are this years artists

I always enjoy the Melbourne Scottish Fiddlers at the festival while having a Guinness or two.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan Highland Games & Australian Celtic Festival

Post by glenshena »

Looks great Hughie. Would love to be there. However another not to be missed Scottish Event is the Pipe Band competition in Paisley. It was held this year on the 19th May. We landed in Glasgow that evening so missed the whole thing. I shall look out for it next year. We will have to stay about a month to see both that and the Ardrossan Highland Games! :D I just have to content myself with the occasional Ceilidh on the ALBA channel.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

https://scotlandwelcomesyou.com/scottis ... and-games/

Been to a few when my daughter did Highland Dancing. :D

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Cowal Highland Games I think has the best atmosphere ,with the final march through the town. Picked up a coal wagon made from Welsh coal one year. Friend from Australia was waved into the parade for a twirl. :D

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

As the Cowal Games are on for two days, is it best to go to the first or second day? My family are thinking of coming over.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

The last day when the atmosphere has built up, and the bands march down the street takes place. Also there is a thing about who can throw the Mace the highest. :D

SC
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Friday night at our National Celtic Festival. Went down after tea to see how things were going and to collect my wristband for the weekend. Very much enjoyed the Scottish Paul McKenna band. There was one point where Paul mentioned that on an earlier CD he had written and recorded a song about dissatisfied Irish, Scots and Germans who deserted the American army to fight with the Mexicans against the Americans - don't know what that was about? Looking forward to seeing them and many other bands over the week-end. :)