ICI Shocker !!

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

ICI Shocker !!

Post by Vivc113 »

What will happen next....

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/arch ... -qkktwhpqp

Does not take long to register with 'The Times' in order to access the full article (!!)
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: ICI Shocker !!

Post by michaelm »

Vivc113 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:52 am Does not take long to register with 'The Times' in order to access the full article (!!)
Yes I did that Viv, but I made sure to tick the box declining daily news e/mails from them getting sent to my inbox, as I've got enough junk that I need to delete from it cluttering things up as it is. :lol:

These stories about proposed 'development' at that area (particularly the Golf Course and Hotel one) have been getting banded about for a number of years now. No doubt there'll be two separate camps, those who want to see the place left as it is for conservation reasons and those who see development there as being beneficial to bringing much needed jobs/revenue etc into the local economy.

Personally, I'm sitting firmly on the fence at the moment as I just don't know enough about it.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

You are smart sitting on the fence, as folk are all over it on Facebook. You are correct. There are 2 camps : nature lovers and business types.

Someone on FB has pointed out nice views do not pay bills. True but it's full of nature stuff now which could be developed.

I have signed up for emails. Lol
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

If two camps have formed, they have done so as a result of misunderstanding the news article. The article is about the ‘archaic’ Special Development Order that was approved by parliament in the 1950s and allows almost any form of development to take place on the Peninsula without the need for planning permission. The existence of an order that ostensibly robs the Council of the ability to regulate development on the Ardeer Peninsula is disastrous for BOTH wildlife and the local economy. The following example hopefully illustrates why.

Two large companies on the Ardeer Peninsula (one explosives company and one plastics company) objected to a proposal to create a small events area on the peninsula. In their objections, the two businesses said that this events area, completely inappropriate for an industrial site, would jeopardise the viability of their businesses, for health and safety and logistical reasons. One company threatened to relocate their business to a sister plant on the continent; the other said that further investment in Stevenston would not be worthwhile if the industrial site is developed inappropriately in this way. Between them, these two businesses employ hundreds of people - they're some of the areas biggest employers. Furthermore, the government’s Health & Safety Executive objected to the proposal, saying that if the proposal was approved by the Council, it would pose a serious threat to human life. Despite all this, the Council effectively approved the proposal for an events area (i.e. issued a Certificate of Lawfulness), because the old Special Development Order means that they could not stop it – all such proposals essentially bypass the Council’s planning control powers. This hopefully illustrates why the old Order, and the unregulated development it brings, is bad for jobs.

I don’t think I need to provide illustrative examples to show that unregulated development of a sand dune system is bad for wildlife!

The Order is out-of-date (it was created to facilitate the smooth running of the ICI plant in the 1950s) and puts local jobs, local lives and the local environment at risk. The Council should seek to repeal the Order immediately. They have not done so already only because they fear that doing so might cause them hassle and cost them money.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Thanks Iain, now I understand.....

Meg
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Understand more now Iain.

It is also being stated it would take millions to decontaminate the land, in order to do anything?!?
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

This is hilarious stuff. It’s pie in the sky. Every couple of yrs this development think raises its ugly head & it ain’t never in a million yrs gonna happen. Marina, hotel, housing, golf course etc in the bottom end of stevenston? No chance. Heard it all before.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

:lol:

MotoX was supposed to be back on the Agenda too. Lol
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

From what I read, I took it as wanting a new planning law ,so as to safeguard the wild life in the area. At the moment there are no restictions for building in that area.

ellie
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

ellie wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:31 am From what I read, I took it as wanting a new planning law ,so as to safeguard the wild life in the area. At the moment there are no restictions for building in that area.

ellie
Only that the area would be contaminated. I heard that the ICI left cash to have this dealt with, where necessary.
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

The total area of the Ardeer peninsula is massive. Surely it is not beyond the wit of planners to produce o carefully constructed scheme satisfactory to all points of view. As I understand, only a fraction of the area is currently used in the manufacture of explosive products. I recall that the original Ardeer golf course bordered the black powder area with all its associated dangers and simply a chain link fence between . Bog side race course was partly fenced off from a magazine area containing hundreds of tons of high explosives and, a short distance across the Garnock from a busy explosive production area including a nitro glycerine hil. None of this was deemed sufficiently dangerous to prevent golfers or race goers from following their respective pursuits. I believe that apart from the small explosive producing facility which I think is not close to the area most suitable for the wildlife theme, I see no reason that with careful planning and getting the Local inhabitants aboard , that , if everyone is serious about the re generation of this area, they stop talking and start doing, bearing in mind that , as in all serious discussions, there must be room for compromise.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

https://swseic.org.uk/2017/07/secret-wi ... ct-ardeer/
From what i,m making out Ardreer closed 1990s.What danger from Ardeer would be left after this time almost 30yrs.Just noticed that's when ICI took it over.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller