Auchenharvie Estate

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
josereyes
New Poster
New Poster

Auchenharvie Estate

Post by josereyes »

Anybody recall Auchenharvie estate between Saltcoats and Stevenston in the sixties ? I used to live in Auchenharvie Road and Auchenharvie was the place to go and play during the summer. The forest was huge and deep and ran right along from the end of Auchenharvie road almost to Stevenston. There were huge playing fields before the academy and leisure centre got built. Then there was Auchenharvie House, used for various clubs and classes as far as I can remember. Walking down the steep steps from the end of Auchenharvie Road and then turning left , took you past Auchenharvie House. Walking on through the gravel road you passed stables and a blacksmiths I think. Keep on walking and you got to the huge playing fields and you could see Stevenston in the distance. The fields were used for football and other games. Round about the late sixties a huge sandpit got dug in the field - as excavation for the academy I think -and there were no fences to keep you out ! So for at least two summers we would go down and play in the huge sandpit. This was about 15 foot deep in places and at least 100 yards long. It was brilliant !
Turning right from the steps there was another huge field - where the leisure centre is now. This was used for games as well. WAlking across the field took you into Saltcoats.
Any one else remember Auchenharvie Estate ?
GordMac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Auchenharvie Estate

Post by GordMac »

I well remember the estate,it's where myself and two young brothers were usually to be found outside school hours playing football on the pitches at the Saltcoats end.We lived in the cottage near the gate under the railway bridge so my mother and father knew where we were.Tom Birch was in charge there and stayed in one of the houses there,the McNaught family were across from him.We used to fly round what we used to call the circle on our bikes.On a Sunday no football was allowed to be played there as a somebody used to come pedalling to chase us away,but he never interfered with the bigger guy's who would gather in the goal mouths to play pitch and toss.My older brother and myself were members of the aero modelling club which was round behind Auchenharvie House.They flew their wire controlled planes at the bottom of the path coming down from the ruins on grass circle at the weekends.My young brother learned to play the bagpipes at night school by a Mr Hall.At the side of the school there was a lawn kept in immaculate condition by Mr Birch,if he found you playing football on it he went apoplectic and chased us nearly back to the gate.On a Saturday all the pitches were always being used by local football teams such as Star of the Sea.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Although I never played there I went to school with Gus McNaught who also learned to play the bagpipes and I guess was taught by the same guy as your brother. Gus emigrated to Ozz where he became a policeman and joined their pipe band which travelled the world. I guess he must have been good at it.
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Some great memories there for me too, I grew up in Auchenharvie Road and well remember the forest and the footpath down to the house and through the grounds and out to the bus stop on the main road. I also remember where the football fields were on the Stevenston side. Before they were there I also remember on that ground there were two big hills both about 50 yards plus in diameter and approximately 50 foot high. They were conical in shape with grass growing on the sides and they mostly consisted of sand, us kids used to run up and down them, then one day bulldozers came in ad removed them for the football pitches to be put there. There was also a path along the top of the forest and down the other side of the house and across the football fields and out through the wall and you were in Stevenston. It also ran down the back of part of Craigs Place and Cunninghame Road where there was an entrance to Kerr Avenue and then on down to the main road to the entrance at the Caley Railway bridge. There was a footpath from the bridge up to Kerr Avenue, this was used by people who lived in Cunninghame road and Townhead Road. I could go on and right pages of the fun we had in the place, I will leave that for others to write their memories.

Wee Boney
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Apologies for the spelling of right in the second last line. It should be write.

Wee Boney