Intimations 23 August 2017

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
mcgrattan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Intimations 23 August 2017

Post by mcgrattan »

Intimations from the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald of 23 August 2017.

Tom McGrattan
Attachments
img684.jpg
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Intimations 23 August 2017

Post by Hughie »

Today on the anniversary of the death of my sister, Susan Boyce (McCallum) McIntyre, the following was re-posted on the Stevenston Facebook page - the original author was a former neighbour. Naturally Susan's family and I are very proud for her to be remembered in this way. :)

24 August 2014 at 22:30 ·
Susan McIntyre died this weekend and her funeral will take place this week. I was going to deliver the standard Sympathy Card and then I thought, no that’s too easy, that’s not good enough.
I’m sure that there will be many friends and family that have more fond memories than me and are far better placed to celebrate her life who will speak about her on the day, but I wonder if they will appreciate what her passing signifies?
Susan MacIntyre’s death marks the end of a special era; the end of the Hamilton Crescent community that I knew and grew up with.
When I was a young child, Hamilton Crescent was a new development. There were a number of “founding” families that moved into the Crescent, but to me, the most important were the McIntyres and the Bryces. Were they friends? I don’t know. My parents and me and my sister called Susan “Mrs McIntyre” and, in turn, Susan called my parents Mr & Mrs Bryce, but there was this unspoken understanding between them that said “if ever you’re in trouble, you can rely on me to help you out”. That was the way that it was. You were neighbours and that was enough
I could bore you forever with examples of how that worked, but just a couple will do. One night an intruder broke into our house and threatened us with violence. Did we call the police? No, we called Susan McIntyre who arrived, chased the intruder away and called the police and had him arrested. When my father was dying from cancer and my mother was suffering from dementia, Susan was a rock upon whom I could rely to take tea with my mum and give her a laugh and keep my dad off the “purely for medicinal” brandies. She eased my mind when, at that time, very little could.
Susan McIntyre was a “wee woman frae the Hayocks”, but what a wee woman she was. She was part of the glue that kept the community of Hamilton Crescent together. That crazy paving of a community with all its good times, bad times and times in between. I haven’t been back to Hamilton Crescent since my mum died and I hope that it’s still the same as I remember it; but without Susan McIntyre , Mamie Bryce and all the others that have passed on, I wonder if Susan, or as she will always be to me, Mrs McIntyre, marked the end of an era.
For all our sakes, I hope not.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

You couldn't bore me at all with posts like this. Wonder if I or my mum, sisters knew her? We were right aroon the corner.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

What a lovely 'in memory' Hughie. Foundation families in the new scheme streets built in the 50s and 60s really did form the heart of communities - and women like your sister really were forerunners of the 'sisterhood'. No wonder you're proud.

Mx
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

That is simply lovely Hughie. Good old fashioned neighbours.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

A lovely tribute to your sister, Hughie.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Lovely for you to know she is so fondly remembered, Hughie.

Susan
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Really beautiful for your sister to be remembered like that Hughie.x
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

What a lovely memory of Susan Hughie, I have my own little memories of Susan, with that gorgeous reddish auburn hair and walking up McDowell avenue home from school.