The Dubbs Rd

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

The Dubbs Rd

Post by bonzo »

I was reading this morning that the Dubbs rd has to become a no through road, blocked off somewhere in the middle with access to the farms from either end. Walkers and cyclists will still have full access.
Those wimin were in the nip.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The Dubbs Rd

Post by michaelm »

You beat me to it bonzo as I was intending to post something similar after reading about it in this weeks A&S Herald.
Maybe it'll make things a wee bit safer - for cyclists at least - as there are one or two sharp wee bends on quite narrow stretches of the road around there.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

It's been like that for a couple of years but you could still drive through,maybe they have physically blocked it now
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Seems as if it will now be physically blocked in an agreeable spot for all parties involved.
Those wimin were in the nip.
aland
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by aland »

had to come as it was used as a way of avoiding traffic to kilwinkieland, plus the surface was nowhere near suitable for the folk that were using it. The road was also a 60mph limit throughout so the police had little powers to stop boy racers/hooligans (aye had a couple of moments on it)

The council had 2 options, upgrade it or shut it and the sensible option has been taken
call me alan or al, labels are for tins of beans or soup not people. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

I wonder if it could be that Todhill Farm might be privately owned now , previously it was part of a trust type thing that J.P.Coats (the threadmakers) were involved

Just looked it up the organisation was within a Limited company that was dissolved in 2015 after 118 years!
I suppose the council might look after the road for a trust/charity etc but won't foot the bill for a private individual or company
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Todhill used to be a combined farm/home for boys and young men with learning difficulties.
JD.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

It’s a public road, so council still obliged to maintain it - don’t think the ownership of Todhill matters.

It’s on both the Ayrshire Coastal Path and the National Cycle Route 73, and is part of the council’s “Core Path Network”. As such, there is an advisory (but unenforceable) 30mph speed limit - but legally the national limit of 60mph applies.

As said earlier, it has become a “rat run” between Kilwinning and Stevenson, and I’ve had a few “close passes” there when on the bike. While there are a few “boy racers”, they are not the worst culprits - "white van man" loves that road - including council vans.

There’s a fly tipping problem at the Kilwinning end. I don’t know whether restricting traffic will help, or make things worse.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

And Todhill is now apparently owned by the Richmond Fellowship -

"Todhill – based in a rural setting in Dubbs Road – has been providing care services for adults with learning difficulties since 1897, and has been on its site in Stevenston for decades.”

http://www.ardrossanherald.com/news/137 ... _takeover/
aland
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by aland »

with the never ending roadworks at the fire station it along with the back road from top of hayocks road that brings you down ashgrove in kilwinkie are being used by locals in the know. Can see it actually gaining you much but of your moving it feels better lol
call me alan or al, labels are for tins of beans or soup not people. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

There’s a fly tipping problem at the Kilwinning end
Is that not the Blacklands?

I await the incoming
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

If as reported, there is no through rd. How does one access Todhill nursery from Stevenston ?.