re the plumb

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

re the plumb

Post by 5siamese7 »

I'm sure most of us who have frequented Saltcoats remember the danger post warning of strong currents near the swimming pool which disappeared probably because of erosion. Well i'm glad to say that a new notice has been erected warning of slippery rocks and strong currents. However I think a strong current notice should have been posted nearer the whirlpool. I do not believe it imparts a clear enough warning to tourists.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: re the plumb

Post by Penny Tray »

5siamese7,

Thanks for this update. I must travel to Saltcoats and see the effectiveness or otherwise of the signage.

I wrote to North Ayrshire Council on 13 July last year about this matter, pointing out the history of fatalities at this location, details of which have been posted from time to time on this site, and they agreed to look into the matter. I'm glad they seem to have done so before the swimming season approaches. Credit to them.

However, regarding your comment - "I think a strong current notice should have been posted nearer the whirlpool," I am personally aware of at least one incident where the person who drowned was apparently attracted to the whirlpool through their curiosity as to what the sign there was about, there being no other signage on the promenade or elsewhere to dissuade them from doing so.

The challenge for the Council is to stop people going near the configuration of rocks which constitute "The Plumb" without detracting from the popularity of a super beach which up until now has been absolutely safe at all other points.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: re the plumb

Post by Vivc113 »

Good for you for writing to the Council!!!
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".