Hawkhill Farm

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Hawkhill Farm

Post by Vivc113 »

Does anyone have any more info or pix of Hawkhill Farm?? Sorry.. I don't have much time this morn to look into it.

Seems to be a listed building anyway.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hawkhill Farm

Post by Meg »

Vivc113 wrote:Does anyone have any more info or pix of Hawkhill Farm?? Sorry.. I don't have much time this morn to look into it.

Edit - moved your post to its own topic Viv, so people can respond without going off topic for Stevenson - today in history. Meg
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

The photograph in the following link has, I think, been posted before but I don't think I had fully appreciated how large an 'anti-aircraft' station it had been during the second world war, presumably to protect Ardeer Factory. I hadn't noticed either, the number of building erected in front of the farm.

https://canmore.org.uk/collection/910902
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Vivc113 wrote:Does anyone have any more info or pix of Hawkhill Farm?? Sorry.. I don't have much time this morn to look into it.

Viv as I remember it was only the byre that was listed and it was a grade three. All gone i'm afraid.
Vinegarjoe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Vinegarjoe »

As kids, passing by Hawkhill, every now and then a really loud bang could be heard. We, as kids, all reckoned it was the slaughterhouse. Was this true or just kid's stuff????
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

they used to use blasting at Hawkhill cemetery
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

wellparkno9 wrote:they used to use blasting at Hawkhill cemetery
Now that's interesting Sam. I never heard, or heard of, any explosions at Hawkhill.
And as far as I know, there are no rocks under the surface there that might need it.
Tommy Milligan who was the gravedigger there was a good friend of my father and I knew him well too.
Never heard any mention of anything like that.
A curious JD.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

I heard years ago when a fellow Birch was the heid yin there that they used to blast at the cemetery.they had to get some one from ICI or some one with a shot firers certificate to do the blasting.any body know about this?
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Birch was the head gravedigger before Tommy Milligan. He later became the head gardener and caretaker in Auchenharvie.
JD.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

wellparkno9 wrote:they used to use blasting at Hawkhill cemetery
I was wondering if some (new?) part of the cemetery was near Hawkhill Farm. If so they might have been getting rid of some of the foundations left over from the WWII heavy anti aircraft battery.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

John Donnelly wrote:Birch was the head gravedigger before Tommy Milligan. He later became the head gardener and caretaker in Auchenharvie.
JD.
I think JD that would be the old man Birch. His son Tam lived in the cottage and was the head gravedigger In the eighties. A lot of rock was hit in the cemetery and blasting took place there. The artillery battery was not near the cemetery. However perhaps blasting was taking place in the Dubbs quarry.