Hot New Book On Kerelaw - Coming Soon !!

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Hot New Book On Kerelaw - Coming Soon !!

Post by michaelm »

Thanks for enquiring Viv. I'm not a member of that facebook group myself but as it's publicly viewable I was able to see the posts by yourself and also Alex McClatchie's daughter. Although I don't know her personally, her face looks very familiar.
If it is indeed the same 'McClatchies' I'm thinking of then she'll have a brother by the name of 'Rory' as that's the chap I played golf with a few years ago.

Thanks again for your help. :)
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

Michael, I think you are indeed thinking of the Alex McClatchie in question. His son, Rory, was a keen golfer in the late 1990s from what I remember. You probably unwittingly see Alex himself from time to time about the town: he is a keen runner and runs at Stevenston Beach, Ardeer Quarry, etc. on a regular basis.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

It has now been confirmed by Jennifer that this was her dad!!

Forgot the Stevenston group was now public. It used to be a private group (!!)

The mining book is heavy but interesting. Never knew Lochwood Farm had 2 mines near it : one in front of the farm and one on Auld Clay Road.

People almost drowned in mine 1, witnessed by people from Auchenkist Farm.

Monks have also worked in these mines. Auld Clay Rd is the weirdest road I have ever been on. Got yards along it and had to come back.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Vinegarjoe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Vinegarjoe »

michaelm wrote:Viv and Bill, do either of you know who the aforementioned Alex McClatchie is?

From my younger days I seem to remember a 'McClatchie' family who lived in the Hayocks area of Stevenston. There was a son who I think was named Alex and went by the nickname of 'Scratcher'.

In later years (round about 2000 ish) I played golf fairly regularly with a young chap who I'm pretty sure is the son of the Alex I've mentioned above.
Just wondering if it could be the same Alex McClatchie who is the Author of those books.
If it's who I think it is, I went to school with him. We were pals in the sixties. We called him "Scrub" (no idea why!!). Got a pic somewhere of him as a kid. Believe he went on to be a geography teacher in Ravenspark School. Lived in Forde Crescent, top end of Stevenston. His dad, also Alex, was well up in the Masonic No 169.
Just remembered more. Schooltime romance, I think he married a girl called Anne Begbie, and they lived in a cottage, don't know the name, but on the way up from the cross, via the Mill Dam to Glencairn St. Always a runner, used to see him pounding the streets.
Not sure it's Alex, I remember it as Alec.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

iain wrote:Michael, I think you are indeed thinking of the Alex McClatchie in question. His son, Rory, was a keen golfer in the late 1990s from what I remember. You probably unwittingly see Alex himself from time to time about the town: he is a keen runner and runs at Stevenston Beach, Ardeer Quarry, etc. on a regular basis.
Cheers Iain.
Young Rory was a member of one of the golf Clubs (Moorpark) who play their competitions at Auchenharvie and I remember him well. He was quite a decent golfer at the time, with a single figure handicap.

Vinegarjoe, I'm fairly sure if you went to school with Alex/Alec, it would most likely have been at the Higher Grade in Stevenston ?
I can't say I knew him on a personal level but I did know of him back in the 60's, possibly because of his running connections that Iain and yourself have mentioned here.

And I think you might well be right there regarding his nickname among his pals.
Last edited by michaelm on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Forgot to say : the mining book will be back in Saltcoats library before April 20th, if anyone wants it.

I can't really follow all the technical stuff but am managing to get something from it (!!)

Amazing how popular coal was in the toons once : even a Raise Coal (named after the street).
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Now available at Starks and also Stevenston and Saltcoats Libraries.

Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

I'm just about to message Jennifer Forbes on FB.

People can obtain a signed copy by PM'ing her (!!)
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Got a signed copy of the book on Kerelaw.

Started reading it this morning. It's really informative. :hi:

Didn't know Gavin Fullarton had a sugar plantation as well as being a local landlord.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

There was also an article, including a pic of the author himself, in last weeks (April 12) edition of the A&S Herald.
All proceeds of the book's sale (price £8.50) will go to the Stevenston Common Good Fund.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Vivc113 wrote:Got a signed copy of the book on Kerelaw.

Started reading it this morning. It's really informative. :hi:

Didn't know Gavin Fullarton had a sugar plantation as well as being a local landlord.
This can be found in Jimmy Clement's book the Kernal OF Cunninghame.