Personal events remembered

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Personal events remembered

Post by Hughie »

Here you can recount events in your life in the three towns which have stuck in your mind and you occasionally recall. Hope you can participate - I'll start:

Ardrossan Eglinton School sports at Winton Park 1956. I was a chance to be school sports champion following in the footsteps of my two older brothers, Jim and Bobby McCallum. It wasn't to be, though I did become runner-up.

I remember before the 100 yard sprint race I was really worried because I had no running shoes. Luckily my classmate and pal, Jim Armstrong, came along with his big brother's running spikes which fitted just great.

I won and our then headmaster, Mr Morrison declared me at the finish line the winner. It's one of those things you occasionally play over in your head where you are the hero while trying to get to sleep at night. Can you no just hear the Chariots of fire theme music coming through :roll:

So, what personal events can you recall? You don't have to claim hero status. 8-)
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Personal events remembered

Post by brian f »

Just outside the Threetowns, Hughie..

I won nearly all the School sport races at the wee school in Kilwinning. When i went to the big school in Irvine, Zilch.

Got the swim a mile badge- which i done in Kilbirnie baths with the school.

Captained a Kilwinning and Stevenson select football team against an Irvine select-at under 13 /14- at the Dirrans . Believe it or not it was an all ticket game.

Much later...

I refused to take part at the primary school sports day (Parents sprint race). Everybody was so much younger.
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

I remember being one of the members of the junior boys choir at the Academy in the mid 50s with Miss Scrimiger being the music teacher. We won the cup that year for Ayrshire Junior boys Choirs singing
Men of Harloch which I believe is the Welsh Anthem. That gave us bragging rites however we neglected to tell anyone there was only one other Junior Choir entered.I have the picture of us holding the cup however no idea how to post it.Anyone else remember this.

Robert
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

lol! As young yins I was normally built, my sis was skinny. There was a local, who shall remain unnamed, who referred to us whenever he saw us as 'fatso and skinso'.. deliciously, ironically he had to work under my dad and cap in hand to oor hoose had to be polite. lol! :lol: still gives me a wee satisfied smile!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Robert Cook wrote:.I have the picture of us holding the cup however no idea how to post it.Anyone else remember this
Robert, you are welcome to send the photo to me for inclusion if you'd like. Just add it as an attachment in an email. Hugh.mccallum@gmail.com..
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by harrysteell »

HI I can always remember being the high jump champion 1961 at Eglinton School I left school 1962 on the easter holidays I was still 14 but started work the same day at the Eagle Cleaners Princes place I was 15 on the 24 th of April the same day the school holidays ended and have hade a good time with the cleaners I think I was there 3 years they put me through my driving and passed 1st time I was so happy that day and thanked MR. Cummine for getting me through .
Harry
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

We all have 5 minutes of Fame. Whats yours :D
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »