Bona Fide travellers

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Bona Fide travellers

Post by Hughie »

Prompted by this post by Penny Tray. The Bona Fide traveller law if I remember it meant you had to travel at least 3 miles from your town in order to have a pint on a Sunday. There were no pubs open on a Sunday so it had to be in a hotel - my recollection would be from around 1960.

I remember going to Dalry with mates to the Roxy Cinema one Sunday night and going to a hotel for a pint. At the time we were unsure if we were actually breaking the law as there was talk that you had to be travelling through, heading for a different destination. I think we had to sign a book and say where our next destination would be, I could be wrong but I think I was prompted to put Glasgow.

Anyone remember this law?
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Bona Fide travellers

Post by John Donnelly »

I remember it well. It must have ended when I was 18 or so, thus 1960 - 61.
At the end, it was no longer really being enforced and folk were signing in as Micky Mouse and such like.
JD.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Didn't you have to have a knife and fork meal as well. I seem to remember that a Scots pie was the normal.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

meekan wrote:Didn't you have to have a knife and fork meal as well. I seem to remember that a Scots pie was the normal.
A knife and ffork meal...brilliant!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

remember your uncle daw Hughie coming up to our house one sunday, and saying to my dad cmon up to Kilmarnock with me for a pint, it was in that pub or hotel next to old Kilmarnock infirmary, and I'm sure daw told my dad some relation of his had bought it or worked in it cant really remember which, Hughie maybe you will know but I remember my dad telling my mum when they got back how posh it was and your feet nearly disappeared in to the carpets as they were that thick.

James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

In my day, late 60's ...ahem... 10 o'clock rule so there was a great rush at the bar before that, then you could finish your stash at leisure. Unfortunately, the 'last bus' drivers seemed to delight in arriving early or not seeing us waiting...long walk home in the dark wi' ma pals or a lumber! :D
C.S.Lewis
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

The concept of 'BONA FIDE TRAVELLER' was established in Scotland, I think, by the Forbes Mackenzie Act 1853, and was intended, again I think, to provide liquid refreshment for a Sunday traveller arriving at a hotel, which was ostensibly going to be his home for the remainder of that day and night, or until he continued on his travels to reach such a place or his actual home. There was nothing, after all, to prevent non-travellers enjoying a drink in their own homes. The fact that the law applied only on a Sunday was more about respecting and protecting the Sabbath which was the fashionable thing to do at the relevant time.

It wasn't a good piece of legislation however, and resulted in hundreds of legal arguments as to the definition of "a traveller," and gave rise to the popularity of shebeens.

At the end of the day, and certainly in living memory, the only way an individual was likely to be charged with contravening the legislation was if they were caught in licensed premises on a Sunday fairly and squarely within three miles of their home address.

I think I'm right again in saying that the terms of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 1962, repealed "BONA FIDE TRAVELLER" conditions.

The "knife and fork meal" mentioned by Meekan was another argument for another day, and was about specific premises being allowed to remain open for one extra hour provided every customer present, local or otherwise, purchased a meal. The lounge bar in the 'Lauriston' in Ardrossan famously provided 'pie and chips' on a paper plate with a plastic knife and fork.

For many reasons, another daft piece of legislation.

This condition, thinking yet again, was dispensed with through the terms of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 1972.

Apologies, about all the "thinking" I've been doing but it was a long time ago :( !
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

PT - Being an ex pat now a colonial, could you explain what "Shebeen" and "Lumber" means

Robert
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Robert Cook wrote:PT - Being an ex pat now a colonial, could you explain what "Shebeen" and "Lumber" means

Robert
shebeen was somewhat illicit brewing , usually whisky, a lumber was getting hooked up with someone. ;)
C.S.Lewis
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

Thanks for the education Morag
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Shebeen an illegal drinking house
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Morag,

Illicit brewing, usually of whisky, is carried out at 'stills' :wink: . Shebeens are unlicensed premises, usually dwelling-houses, where alcohol is sold and usually, although not exclusively, consumed there.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.