Bona Fide travellers

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Bona Fide travellers

Post by morag »

Penny Tray wrote:Morag,

Illicit brewing, usually of whisky, is carried out at 'stills' :wink: . Shebeens are unlicensed premises, usually dwelling-houses, where alcohol is sold and usually, although not exclusively, consumed there.
Never heard the term stills, backyard brewing we referred to as shebeens mibbe the Irish influence? There was another word used,,can't come up with it right now, it'll be one of those 3am things then I'll forget again... :(
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Maybe because We'd a neighbour who home brewed, strong stuff, he was our shebeen!But he passed polis tests, and I think they left a wee it happy ;)
C.S.Lewis
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Morag,

Shebeen is definitely of Irish origin but if you haven't heard of a 'still' it's maybe time you were coming back 'home' for a wee visit :lol:. I think the term will have a link with diSTILLery?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Oh I've heard of still just not associated as illegal...I am rather naive.. :roll:
C.S.Lewis
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Penny Tray wrote:
Shebeens are unlicensed premises, usually dwelling-houses, where alcohol is sold and usually, although not exclusively, consumed there.
So a 'Shebeen' would have been a similar kind of place as a 'Bothy'?
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks for your insight into Bona Fide Travellers, Penny. I remember as a fouteen year old visiting Mrs McManus (Fearless' mother in law) in Hoey Street, Govan - my brother Bobby lodged with her when he worked in Glasgow. It was common knowledge that there was a Sheebeen in the next close and they did refer to it as a Sheebeen.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

michaelm wrote:
Penny Tray wrote:
Shebeens are unlicensed premises, usually dwelling-houses, where alcohol is sold and usually, although not exclusively, consumed there.
So a 'Shebeen' would have been a similar kind of place as a 'Bothy'?
I've always thought a 'bothy' was a structure where hill walkers/climbers took shelter. Alcohol might well be consumed in them but I've never heard of it being sold or supplied illicitly there.
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

The bona Fide travelers act was a farce, and quite a laugh. I'm remembering the 50s
People from Kilwinning would come to Ardrossan for a drink on the pretense that they were going to largs,
The Ardrossan mob would go to kilwinning for a drink on the pretense they were going to Kilmarnock.
The result of this was that Ardrossan was full of Kilwinning Drunks and Kilwinning was full of Ardrossan drunks. who at shutting time would pass each other, usually on the bus as they went home. there would be lots of waving and shouting as the bus's past each other.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

brvhrtjimmy wrote:remember your uncle daw Hughie coming up to our house one sunday, and saying to my dad cmon up to Kilmarnock with me for a pint, it was in that pub or hotel next to old Kilmarnock infirmary, and I'm sure daw told my dad some relation of his had bought it or worked in it cant really remember which, Hughie maybe you will know but I remember my dad telling my mum when they got back how posh it was and your feet nearly disappeared in to the carpets as they were that thick.
Jimmy, my great grandparent's Hugh McCallum and Mary Kelly's headstone is in New Street Cemetery, Stevenston and was erected by Agnes Murray who according to ASH resided in Kilmarnock - so that could be the link to the Kilmarnock hotel.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Pretty harsh sentence for 1936 - not the £1.00, the ten days in prison. :shock:
According to Google £1 in 1936 is equivalent in purchasing power to about £71.14 in 2020.

brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Provost Kennedy= Its a very serious offence...

Life was certainly different back then :club: