Heritage Museum - It's All Over !!

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Heritage Museum - It's All Over !!

Post by Vivc113 »

stivis wrote:The building has been neglected since the early 70s changing the format circa ten years ago did little" save freshen it's face".....Sadly the Technical Staff of NAC have no knowledge maintaining old building , cavity wall and kit that's their limit
Sad times indeed. :shock:
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

What is surprising is that I haven't launched a tirade at who's fault it is

Some historic building have an on site architect maybe with a remit of 6 to 10 building, and are versed in old construction, and repair work to old buildings,
Except the build that housed the museum is not particularly old in relevant terms ,
It would be a shame if it goes the way of other buildings , and It's sold off and abandoned till it goes on fire .
The other thing it's hardly a site that can be redeveloped into something , like New Street Stevenston was.......Hmmm
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

If by any chance the museum closes for good,
What will happen to all the items they hold at the moment?
The reason I ask is that there is a small earthen ware water Jug in the museum that at one time in the 1890s belonged to my Great Grand Fathers Pub in Ardrossan, The inscription on the Jug reads,
The Ardrossan Rest, proprietor, Robert Storrar.
I have an identical Jug which I brought with me to Australia from Scotland when I emigrated in 1961
Many years ago I tried to buy the Jug from the museum but they wouldn't release it. I would hate it to be lost If the museum dose close.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

georgeflemingard wrote:If by any chance the museum closes for good,
What will happen to all the items they hold at the moment?
The reason I ask is that there is a small earthen ware water Jug in the museum that at one time in the 1890s belonged to my Great Grand Fathers Pub in Ardrossan, The inscription on the Jug reads,
The Ardrossan Rest, proprietor, Robert Storrar.
I have an identical Jug which I brought with me to Australia from Scotland when I emigrated in 1961
Many years ago I tried to buy the Jug from the museum but they wouldn't release it. I would hate it to be lost If the museum dose close.
Oh dear. You can always ring them up and ask.

Even though it is closed to the public, the staff are still inside at the moment.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

It would depend on the conditions that the museum received the item , and who has the "Right of Title"
If as more usually the case it was lent to the Museum, then it could be asked that it be returned by the owners (or their successor) if lent it would usually state who lent it to the museum on a card, if gifted this card would state" Gifted by"............The problem is that Cards or Notes are not a requirement, it's down to someone to decide to put one or not or the person who lent/gifted the item sought acknowledgement.
If it was exhibited they should be an entry in some kind of stock or receipt book.

However if you have some proof that it was in your family and can back it up, by say a receipt(which would be I suspect unlikely) , then it should be handed back

That would be the principal of getting it returned
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

I believe the sarcophogus found by my Great Grandfather on Castle Hill is in this museum is it not?
If so what could happen to it?.
Does anyone know?

Robert
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Wow... I never knew it was found by your great grandfather. Looked at it so often.

Dunno what would happen to it though.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

My guess is that the sarcophagus will remain in the Heritage Centre.

The following is the opening paragraph of a story in the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald of 2 December 2005.

NEW RESTING PLACE FOR MEDIEVAL STONE COFFIN
Ancient artefact is centre of attraction in refurbished museum
by Gordon Robertson

It has been described as the finest of its kind in Scotland – and it’s right on our doorstep. The thirteenth century Ardrossan Sarcophagus, an ancient stone coffin, has been in the North Ayrshire Museum in Saltcoats since 1958. But until this week it was tucked away in a corner and visitors were unable to enjoy what is acknowledged as a magnificent example of medieval architecture. Now the one and a half tonne sandstone casket has been moved to the centre of the museum, a place more appropriate for such an important exhibit. In a delicate operation carried out by Graciela Ainsworth sculpture conservationists, the ancient coffin was hoisted and moved from the corner it occupied for nearly forty years. The relocation took three days to complete and was described, with obvious understatement, as “quite tricky”.

Considering that the coffin weighs one and a half tonnes and took three days to move a few metres - likely at considerable expense - I don't think it will be going far.

George
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

More details on the sarcophagus in the Future Museum:
http://www.futuremuseum.co.uk/search.as ... arcophagus
I recall seeing it in the Burgh Chambers in Montgomerie Street when I was a wee boy.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Hughie

The sarcophagus was on display in the Burgh Chambers but it also spent eight years in the Barony Church in Ardrossan.

After the coffin was found within the church on the Castle Hill in late January 1911, it lay there for at least two months while Ardrossan Town Council debated what should happen to it. Bailie McKellar and Captain McKelvie thought that it should not be moved from the Hill but be suitably protected where it was found. Bailie Flinn suggested that sometime in the future, a small museum might be built on the Hill in and the sarcophagus could be safely housed there. Provost James Chrystie, supported by the Earl of Eglinton who owned the Castle Hill and Dr Thomas Ross, the archaeologist who examined the coffin, wanted it moved to the Burgh Chambers in Montgomerie Street and the Council voted in favour of this proposal.

At a meeting on 11 September 1950, Ardrossan Town Council let it be known that it no longer wanted custody of the sarcophagus. Suggestions on what to do with it were received from the Earl of Eglinton, Saltcoats Town Council and the Barony Church, Ardrossan. The Earl of Eglinton proposed that the coffin be taken to the old burial place of the Montgomeries in Largs. Saltcoats Town Council wanted it for a museum it was considering opening. In the event, the coffin was taken to the Barony Church on 9 October 1950. Seven years later, on 25 June 1957, the North Ayrshire Museum was opened in Saltcoats. The sarcophagus was not, however, one of its original exhibits but was taken there in 1958. In 2005, it was relocated within the building.

George