Changes in Ardrossan in Recent Years

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Changes in Ardrossan in Recent Years

Post by Mitchy »

Penny Tray wrote:Several years ago, under another topic heading, I posted the following about the High Tide Public Bar.

“My recollection is quietly sipping a pint one Friday or Saturday evening; the guys playing dominoes in the corner, rotating as usual on the ‘chap’; voices becoming raised; becoming louder still; punches being thrown; and a wild west scene ensuing. A man, known to me only as ‘Sanny the Grave Digger’, had apparently occupied the vacant seat when no one was expecting this. He insisted it was his turn. The others disagreed. And then the scene, previously described unfolded. Later on, Sanny was trying to explain to the assembled crowd, which by now included two police officers, that when he had been defeated previously he had stood up and said "General MacARTHUR". This meant nothing to the domino players, the police officers, or me, serving only to increase Sanny's frustration and causing him to shout repeatedly - "GENERAL MacARTHUR - THE BATTLE OF BATAAN - I SHALL RETURN". Everybody thought he had gone mad. Clearly however, Sanny was better read than the rest of us and knew then, what I know now, that following General MacArthur's retreat from the Battle of Bataan he had become synonymous with three words in the English language - "I SHALL RETURN".

Sanny's interpretation of 'chapping the board' has not yet been included in the rules of the game :lol: .
For goodness sake PT. The casual readers of this forum who visualise Ardrossan as a quaint fishing port on the Firth of Clyde will be shocked at this tale of a brawl in one of the local bars. Obviously an isolated incident :wink:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Hahaha aye right.
Those wimin were in the nip.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Hughie wrote:On that site before the High Tide was built was Hogarth's Parkhouse Farm. Our member now in Australia, Elizabeth Reid, has written in her recollections about her family's connection to the farm.
I remember it as Ross's Dairy.
Part of the Ross's Dairy building was retained when the High Tide Hotel was built as shown in the photo below taken on 9 April 2004, two months before its demolition.
George
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

STANLEY SCHOOL

The fifth building in this topic is Stanley School.

Construction of the first Stanley School started in September 1959 on the site of what was previously Stanley Farm. It opened in August 1963 and closed on 27 June 2007.

It was replaced by a new school, shown below, in Dalry Road which opened on 14 August 2007.

The original school was demolished between 15 October and 12 November 2007 when the photo below was taken.
George
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I've always been saddened that when Stanley School opened it didn't inherit the Eglinton School name that it replaced. Continuity of the name would have been a great thing to my way of thinking. God forbid that if Winton ever moves that the school name will live on and give that continuity.

I realise that the schools were named for the streets. Still thinking of naming my house Eglinton. :wink:
frank brand
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by frank brand »

Does anyone femember Kerrs the ironmongers in Princes Stree where you could buy your fishing lines and weights to go fishing at the pier near the Pilots buildin. Also can anyone verify whether or not Kerrs had a removal business as I can recall a big green painted van with Kerrsname on it.

Frank Brand.
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

Hooray I managed to get in. My two children went to the old stanley school for two years then we came back to Oz :D
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

When we were home in 1978 our daughter went to Stanley school one day with her cousins. Son slept in that morning so he didn't go. Daughter came home at lunchtime and refused to go back, son was in a mood because he missed out. Mothers never seem to get it right.
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Hi Frank,

You are correct, Kerrs did have a big green removal van with their name written on it. I remember as a wee boy living in Quay Street Saltcoats my dad came home in it and he left it parked on the braes. He never worked for Kerrs as he was working in Ardrossan shipyard at that time. He took me out with another man in it and I got to sit on dads lap with my hands on the steering wheel for a trip round the braes. I remember seeing the van a few times after that.

Wee Boney
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Frank, I too remember the removal van, but not the ironmongers. I bought my fishing gear from Browns the newsagents across from the Glasgow Street Post Office - squibs too.

Good to see you back in Margaret. :)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie wrote: I realise that the schools were named for the streets.
Hughie, I'm not sure that this is correct. I think the Eglinton and Winton Schools were called after the Earls of Eglinton and Winton, after whom the streets were also named. And Stanley School was called after Stanley Farm, after which Stanley Road was also named.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

You are correct, Penny. The Schools owe their names to the Earl of Eglinton and Winton, and the Stanley school to McKinnon's Stanley Farm. And as you say, the streets were also named after the earl and Stanley Farm. :wink: