Corsankell Farm And A Wee Mystery

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Corsankell Farm And A Wee Mystery

Post by 5siamese7 »

I knew his daughter and she had a ruddy complexion and kind of kept her self to herself. Shy and easily embarrassed.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Bob Smith came about my father's shop in the Boglemart. Big man and very friendly. I think he had two daughters, cannot remember their names, but they were lovely girls too.

JD.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Brill...thanks !!!!
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Viv at last I went up to Cosankell farm. Walk up the Kerelaw road until you come to the brown sign for the golf course. Go left and follow the wee road down to the underpass at the bypass. Go under and round heading for some old trees. The remains sit next to the bypass. Its a sad sight a mound covering the farm and just some rusty fencing and a bit of dry stane dyke. The beautiful glen banks are easily seen from here. As its isolated be careful, you might feel ill at ease.
Last edited by 5siamese7 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

I haven't been round that way for a long. long time. What you describe makes me very sad. Corsankell was a beautiful building and Bob Smith always kept it immaculate.

JD.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Sad John, your not kidding it must have been like living in paradise what a beautiful setting, came home down in the dumps.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

5siamese7 wrote:Viv at last I went up to Cosankell farm. Walk up the Kerelaw road until you come to the brown sign for the golf course. Go left and follow the wee road down to the underpass at the bypass. Go under and round heading for some old trees. The remains sit next to the bypass. Its a sad sight a mound covering the farm and just some rusty fencing and a bit of dry stane dyke. The beautiful glen banks are easily seen from here. As its isolated be careful, you might feel ill at ease.
Ah. Now I know where it is. Have been round there before. An odd road. Low energy. Must go back sometime.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

One thing that pleased me was that there were fish in the burn. However all those fields green as green can be and no livestock and more importantly not a hare to be seen. A sad situation and I wish it was different.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Too early for the coos.

:shock:
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Forgot to say..... I managed to get info that the path infront of the grey wall at Lochcraigs has been manmade. Seems part of the contract of the bypass having to be there meant another access road to farmland had to be created.

I walked nearby often in the 80s and cannot seem to remember at all another entry gate, yet it must have been there.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

It might be interesting to note, that many, probably all, of the paths and tracks round there are rights of way since centuries past. I remember as a child going for walks with my father and him taking us onto tracks that nobody had ever seemed to have heard of, never mind knew they existed.
We had a discussion on here a few months ago about the Kings Road from Kilwinning Abbey to Porten Cross which nobody could figure out how it went. I remember him taking us through the fields from the Ashgrove Road near the Bluebell Plantation in a straight line across to the water-works, which he said was an ancient right of way. I think that was part of the Kings Road.
Strange how things like this bring back childhood memories. I remember being afraid and saying 'we can't go in there,' and him saying that it was a very old right of way.

JD.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

John according to Wickapedia the King's road ran from Kilwinning abbey through byres up through the lands of Ashgrove to link up with the old clay road which turns off before you get to Lochwood farm. Rights of way have always been a bother to some land lords and they have sometimes blocked them or put their bull in the field. I remember hiking up to the cup and ring marked rocks behind West Kilbride to find a huge bull there and so had to abort my mission. Your right our parents use to tell us that most of the tracks above Stevenston were rights of ways. To-day we have the right to roam which is an improvement but please follow the country code.