new work on the prom

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

new work on the prom

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

don't know if it should be here in lounge or local current affairs, an admin can maybe decide to move or not, anyway I have it on good authority that a new wall will be getting built on the prom, wasnt told if its a sea wall or the railway wall, but I have a feeling it is a sea wall, as both slips are getting removed, I got this information from a householder who has had a letter about it, no information as to when it will be but it is going to happen.

James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: new work on the prom

Post by Meg »

Is that Saltcoats prom James?

Meg
madge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by madge »

Letter from Network Rail regarding work due to commence July/August on sea wall and
promenade between Saltcoats and Stevenston. Main aim is to strengthen sea wall.

Following work to be undertaken:
Infilling voids in wall
Installing rock armour protection
Installing a new wave return wall
Installing a new surface along the length of the promenade

Much of materials to be transported by barge remainder by road.

Drop-in meeting held today at Adelaide College, Nineyard Street (old Mission Coast Home)
from 4pm till pm

Madge
Trust in God but row away from the rocks
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

yes meg and thanks for that info madge, wish I had known about that drop in meeting,cos I certainly would have been there. I suppose that will be ne of my fav fishing venues closed :( any idea madge how long the work will take

James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)
madge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by madge »

Hi James

Estimated time for work on prom is 29 weeks. Work times dependant on tides so daytime and
nightime shifts will be required.

Madge
Trust in God but row away from the rocks
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

Good news, that road and sea wall have been needing upgraded for years. They were taking cores from the road a while back, which was obviously to assess the condition of the ground underneath. It actually makes sense for them to upgrade this, they must lose a fortune in winter with the amount of services they have to cancel and laying on replacement buses.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

GEODGC wrote: they must lose a fortune in winter with the amount of services they have to cancel and laying on replacement buses.
What's this about? Why are services cancelled because of the state of the prom? I have heard of cancellations because of high seas, but never any problems with the structure of the prom itself.

JD.
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

John Donnelly wrote:
GEODGC wrote: they must lose a fortune in winter with the amount of services they have to cancel and laying on replacement buses.
What's this about? Why are services cancelled because of the state of the prom? I have heard of cancellations because of high seas, but never any problems with the structure of the prom itself.

JD.
Not directly because of the state of the prom, it's more to do with the sea defences, or lack of them. The prom is in a state too though, parts of the wall are crumbling into the sea, the fencing is all rusted and the road is full of holes and is like a patchwork quilt.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

brvhrtjimmy wrote: I suppose that will be one of my fav fishing venues closed :(
Yes brvhrtjimmy, but only for a few months, and just think how eager you'll be when it re-opens. :)

I think this is also good news for folk who enjoy either walking or cycling along the prom.

To echo what GEODGC says, with the amount of storm damage we've had there in recent years - which has maybe turned out to be a blessing in disguise - it became even more obvious that something other than just patchwork had to be done.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I read that Network Rail are responsible for the sea wall and North Ayrshire Council for maintaining the walkway. I believe that they are very worried about the sea getting under the rail track causing subsidence and a horrific train crash. A special barrier is to be used to keep the sea out. I would suggest that considering the weather we get this must be urgent. Incidentally there was a plan to extend the walkway along Stevenston shore but this came to nothing.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Sorry George,

but I don't think you have answered my question.
Under what circumstances are Railway services suspended and what reason do they give for it?
I'm assuming it happens between Stevenston and Saltcoats.

JD.
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

John Donnelly wrote:Sorry George,

but I don't think you have answered my question.
Under what circumstances are Railway services suspended and what reason do they give for it?
I'm assuming it happens between Stevenston and Saltcoats.

JD.
When you get the combination of high winds and a high tide, the trains are often cancelled due to waves crashing over the track and electric overhead wires. See the video below.I'm assuming that the new rock armour and wave return wall will eradicate this problem, or certainly lessen it. Similar sea defences were installed at the harbour and round towards Winton Circus.