new work on the prom

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: new work on the prom

Post by 5siamese7 »

Actually trains are rarely cancelled . It has to be really bad and this does not happen very often. There is a real fear of subsistence and that could be a disaster.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

I'm intrigued as to what a wave return wall actually looks like, but I'm assuming it'll be curved in some way - maybe a bit like the wall at the Irvine bar - to deflect some of the heavy incoming waves back during stormy weather.
Not sure how many trains have been cancelled in the past, but it did happen sometimes, particularly during the winter, when very high winds and high tides coincidentally came together.

Upgrading the prom itself will definitely be a good thing for folk in the area too though. I'm half expecting new railings like the ones at Brodick shorefront, but I wont hold my breath.
Last edited by michaelm on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

5siamese7 wrote:Actually trains are rarely cancelled . It has to be really bad and this does not happen very often. There is a real fear of subsistence and that could be a disaster.
I couldn't tell you the actual number of days the trains were off. Do you have more information? What I can tell you though, as someone that walks along that prom most days, I can tell you that it's impossible to pass regularly.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Anyone who walks or cycles along there will know that on the odd occasion they might be hit by an overtopping wave, especially during a high tide.
Folk who can't handle getting a wee bit wet at times, should take another route. :wink:
Last edited by michaelm on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Another favourite wee seaside place of mine (Dawlish) had problems with the sea wall , it was on the news a lot last year so you might know about it.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Another favourite wee seaside place of mine (Dawlish) had problems with the sea wall , it was on the news a lot last year so you might know about it.

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/timetables ... e/dawlish/
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

The link regarding Dawlish was a good wee read brian.
Fingers crossed the work to be carried out up here in our own area has the same positive result.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

michaelm wrote:The link regarding Dawlish was a good wee read brian.
Fingers crossed the work to be carried out up here in our own area has the same positive result.
Thanks Michael-The last time i was up the road about 4 or 5 years ago big Red/Brown Jellyfish seemed to like that area, my boys where fascinated by them :roll: poor "ANIMALS" are going to be disturbed :lol:
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

GEODGC wrote:
When you get the combination of high winds and a high tide, the trains are often cancelled due to waves crashing over the track and electric overhead wires.
I’m pretty sure it’s more to do with the electrics than waves affecting the actual trains. When the passenger (electric) trains are cancelled, the freight trains (diesel) still run.

Having said that, I remember going along that stretch regularly in the old diesels, in the pre-electrification days. The regular commuters knew to close the windows on stormy days. Occasional travellers got soaked :-)
That of course was back in the days when trains had windows that slid open...

I think there have been a couple of days this year when services have been cancelled. In the past, it always seemed to be an “on the day” decision; but more recently they have been cancelling services the day before if wild weather is forecast.
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

Heavy seas have always been a problem at the railway. Dad told me at times the spray over had damped down the fire in some of the steam locos. Whether or not that is true I remember my cousin and I used to go onto the top of the footbridge from school at lunchtime and get wet from heavy spray right up there. I would imagine it would play havoc with the hight tension wires. Wee Ali
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

madge wrote:Hi James.
Estimated time for work on prom is 29 weeks. Work times dependant on tides so daytime and
nightime shifts will be required.
Madge.
Here's what things looked like today, 6 months on from the 29 week estimate that was given for the start and completion of the work.
Sea Wall? .. they're havin' a laugh!

madge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by madge »

Notice in this week's A & S Herald re work on promenade. Closure to be extended to 2 August 2016 or until
work completed.

Madge
Trust in God but row away from the rocks