Planes over the three towns

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Planes over the three towns

Post by Hughie »

Have you ever wondered about the planes that fly over the three towns. Here's a couple I captured using the App Flightrader24 on my iPad. Note in the first image that they have the long gone Ardeer Square in Saltcoats.
:puter

My experience on flying over the three towns a few years ago. See here
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Planes over the three towns

Post by michaelm »

Perhaps a wee bit off topic Hughie - but in keeping with your previous post - here's a photo I took 3 or 4 years ago of the Rabbie Burns mural on the sea wall at the Irvine Bar side of Stevenston beach.
Some of the old I.C.I. buildings can be seen in the background behind the perimeter fence.
Feel free to move to an appropriate topic if need be.

little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Hughie that surprised me, I had a parochial opinion that the flights were in/out of Glasgow or Edinburgh. Now that you have brought this to my attention it explains those high altitude specks in the sky(weather permitting) with the vapour trail.
There was one plane that stopped me in my tracks every time, it wasnt over the three towns but we had a ring side seat, pilots were being trained to fly "Concorde" at Prestwick airport. It was an awesome site to see the " big bird" fly up and down the coast. I'm now trying to think of a date, would it be early 70's.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

A couple of years ago we flew over the three towns en route from Rekjavik to Amsterdam with Icelandair.

JD.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Neil, it was probably prior to 1975 you saw the concorde 'cause that was when it came to Melbourne Airport where I was working at the time, the crowds made me late for work. :( John, I've noticed regular daily flights from Rekjavik to such places as Glasgow and other UK and European destinations - they seem to pass regularly between Dalry and the three towns while flying South.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I remember reading that the flight plan of the pan am flight that was blown up over Lockerbie was going to take the plane over the 3 towns before it went out into the Atlantic air space. A few minutes later and ..... - well I guess we should be counting our blessings

Meg
madge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by madge »

The skies above the three towns are busy due to Prestwick being Europe's largest air
traffic control centre.

It can handle over a million flights a year, both civilian and military.

Madge
Trust in God but row away from the rocks
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

I remember when the concorde use to fly over the ICI, there was always a notice outside the dets,canteen to let us
know, what the bang was, I wasn't there in the seventies.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I remember hearing the sonic boom, quite amazing!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
T44RBY
Settling In
Settling In

Post by T44RBY »

Hi Hughie,

Every chance the data you're seeing on FlightRadar24 is coming from the wee aerial on my roof ....... :D

I'm one of the data feeds into their network for this area, simply because we catch the regional traffic for PIK & also GLA, and also the high level traffic which is on one of the Europe <> USA tracks.

PIK will also more than likely be picked up as an Autopilot Waypoint dependent on the arrival/departure airports.

:cool
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Interesting to hear that, Iain. I've never gone into the sources that contribute to that great app. People don't need the app, they should be able to view the same details on their computer at:
http://www.flightradar24.com/52.31,-13.12/4
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hughie wrote: People don't need the app, they should be able to view the same details on their computer at: http://www.flightradar24.com/52.31,-13.12/4
4am today UK time and these are the flights heading for the UK and beyond. No wonder the Atlantic Liners are no more - or are they?