Building near to Ardrossan Castle

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Building near to Ardrossan Castle

Post by Hughie »

My recollection of that building is from around 1948/49. I was six or seven and our common play area at lunch time from Winton School was the castle and Cannon Hill. I remember the building because we were playing inside it one day and someone picked up a piece of poo and hit me on the face with it. :shock: Dammed if I can recall which twin threw it. :lol: The walls of the building would have been 9 to 10 feet high at the most and it had no roof. There's no trace of it now.

In 2000 I wrote about it to our then mailing list. See in our archive this topic.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Building near to Ardrossan Castle

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie,

It was 1952/53 before I was playing up there but I don't remember any such building. The only thing I remember in that locality was a wooden hut occupied by the putting green attendant. Mrs Nicol from Barrie Terrace was the said attendant.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Bobby doesn't remember it either. Didn't seem to be any trace of a building when we were there last year.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Could it have been the ruins of the old church, though as I remember when I was young the walls were about 3ft at their highest point
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Angus, I'm assuming you mean the original Ardrossan Parish Church which was blown down by a hurricane hundreds of years ago. Anyway, that's probably more than 500 yards from the Castle alongside Hill Place and next to Winton Park's lesser used entrance.
frank brand
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by frank brand »

How old is the photograph. I don`t ever recall a building that close to the castle.
There was a fairly substantial brick built shelter near the castle, which has now been pulled down. That`s the only building I can remember up the castle hill.
Frank Brand.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Frank, I remember the brick shelter you mention, but no, that wasn't the building I was referring to.

Today, Penny Tray has pointed me to this 1938 image from Britain from above. It appears to show the building in question. Thanks, Penny, it's in the right spot from what I can remember. :)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Took this photo some years ago in Ardrossan Cemetery and I'm thinking the building in question could have been for Mr Johnstone's staff and park maintenance equipment back in those days - just a theory!
George Johnstone Park keeper.jpg
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

GeorgeJohnstone's Daughter was my Grandmother Jessie Johnstone. He was therefore my Great grandfather.
One of George Johnstone's employees was Robert Cook (my other Great Grandfather) whose son George Cook married Jessie Johnsone.
Robert was the one who found the sarcophagus in the old church.
Sorry to get off topic a wee bit
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Not at all, Robert - it adds to the interest of the topic. :)

After receiving a few helpful suggestions I entering "Ardrossan castle dovecot" into Google and came up with the following.

Ardrossan castle dovecot-2.png
Ardrossan castle dovecot-2.png (10.47 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Hughie, the possible dovecot was round. The building in the photo looks like it had straight walls.
You can see the position of the dovecot on the map on page 3 of the download here:
https://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/li ... pe=Journal
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

As a non-Ardrossanite, I'm trying to place the footbridge in the photo.
To my limited geographical knowledge of the town, I place it somewhere near St. Peters church.
JD.