Boys Brigade

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
scottyd
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Boys Brigade

Post by scottyd »

Any former members of the Boys Brigade about ?
I was a Lifeboy and progressed to the BBs - 3rd Saltcoats in the 60's
Auldbb
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Boys Brigade

Post by Auldbb »

I was a sarge. in the famous 1st Stevenston Co.
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

what about the cubs and scouts? I briefly attended boy cubs at a hall in Kilmeny Terrace. My mum bought a toggle and a lanyard before I quit going. I can tie three types of knots now, a granny, a reef and a running bowline, but I already knew them before joining and have forgotten the 40 or so hitches and half-hitches they tried their best to teach me. I left because they didn't have a football team like the BBs.
Auldbb
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Auldbb »

Yep, I was a scout for a brief period also. Have forgotten most of the knots but still remember the sixteen points of the compass and the alphabet in semaphore. Haven't found a lot of use for these but, if I am ever lost in the woods or at sea, I am sure I will be thankful for the knowledge.
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

we gave up on the cubs to join Irvine Sea Cadets (there wasn't one in Ardrossan then). The officer in charge was Sub-Lieutenant O'Bree who although English lived in Kilwinning, up Fergushill Road at the Fiveroads, and his son Graeme was also a member (father of the Flying Scotsman - World's fastest Cyclist - Graeme O'Bree.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

for us lassies it was the brownies and girl guides. Remember going to one Jamboree, early 60's. Oddly, we'd have dances with the Boys Brigade. Or it was Legion of Mary going to visit elderly ill or otherwise problematic people, hope I helped. A home along South beach or North shore, Red Cross house?
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
tuc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tuc »

ardrossanrentboy wrote:we gave up on the cubs to join Irvine Sea Cadets (there wasn't one in Ardrossan then). The officer in charge was Sub-Lieutenant O'Bree who although English lived in Kilwinning, up Fergushill Road at the Fiveroads, and his son Graeme was also a member (father of the Flying Scotsman - World's fastest Cyclist - Graeme O'Bree.
5thsaltcoats boys brigade then irvine sea cadets my brother runs the ardrossan sea cadets
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

We had a Chief Petty Officer who lived in Sannox Drive area of Saltcoats. He was about 5'6" with white hair and fit as a fiddle. His speciality was shoes which seemed to shine with lights, buffed up with 'spit and polish' he insisted. I think he worked as a bus inspector with A1 at Ardrossan Terminus at Parkhouse or maybe Salcoats Burgh dustcarts. We learned 'boat-pulling' in a clinker built boat on the River Irvine at the Harbour, crashing regularly, and Dinghy sailing at Port Edgar ? near South Queensferry just as they were completing the new Forth Road Bridge overhead.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

ardrossanrentboy wrote:we gave up on the cubs to join Irvine Sea Cadets (there wasn't one in Ardrossan then). The officer in charge was Sub-Lieutenant O'Bree who although English lived in Kilwinning, up Fergushill Road at the Fiveroads, and his son Graeme was also a member (father of the Flying Scotsman - World's fastest Cyclist - Graeme O'Bree.
I will have to get the film out again The flying Scotsman Ardrossanrentboy cant remember much , Do you know if the bike shop he had was in Kilwinning ? i lived in Fergushill road for a year or two before i moved south.
I was in the boys brigade in Kilwinning not sure i think it might have been in Mansfield church Kilwinning and the Scouts in Pennyburn school am sure the leader was called Mr James.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

My brother went to St Cuthberts boys brigade. Don't remember what company that was. It was fairly big when he was there.
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

brian f wrote:
I will have to get the film out again The flying Scotsman Ardrossanrentboy cant remember much , Do you know if the bike shop he had was in Kilwinning ? i lived in Fergushill road for a year or two before i moved south.
I was in the boys brigade in Kilwinning not sure i think it might have been in Mansfield church Kilwinning and the Scouts in Pennyburn school am sure the leader was called Mr James.
Brianf, As you go up Fergushill Road from the bottom you will remember past the shops on your left was an odd looking modern pub called the Tourney, that's about the centre of the Fiveroads and there was a row of old cottages and Mr. O'Bree Senior lived in one of them. He later moved into a modern council house just around the corner on the road down to Woodmill / Dirrans. I don't know if he is still alive, I last saw him out in his garden with his dog when I came out of Davie McLelland's (McLelland's Taxis) back driveway which was opposite his house. I think Graeme's bike shop was in the High Street in Irvine across and along a bit from the Turf Corner, near the chippy.
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Brianf, the bike shop up Kilwinning Main Street which switched from one side to the other near Papingo's barbers and becames Tam's Autos, wasn't ever Graeme's shop as far as I know.