Stevenston dentist

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Stevenston dentist

Post by Vivc113 »

Brilliant, thanks !!! Maxwell was a great man !! I remember once not attending a clinic he had referred me too in Ardrossan. When he found out, he said to me: "People like you with good teeth need a kick up the arse". :-)

You wouldn't probably get away with saying these things to patients these days.

Odd someone running a flower shop being allowed to live in the waterworks house. I would have though the filter treatment place would still have been operational at this point.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Stevenston dentist

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

Mr Maxwell was a very good dentist and a likeable person but oh my God the pain.After 10 years of unnecessary pain i was beginning to think i must be a masochist. The straw that broke the camel's back was the day he cleared off to sort out an electricity bill leaving me in the torture chair for about an hour. I moved to Gladstone road where my new dentist Mr Mcgillvery in comparison was pain free. To change the subject i don't think there will have been any mystery about the house at the water works. The house would be rented out as it wasn't required at that time.James Paterson moved from Largs in the mid sixties to become manager at Greenhead and as he required to be housed so he got that house.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Stevenston dentist

Post by morag »

I don't have fond memories of Mr Maxwell's practice, from being slapped across the face to 'help me wake up from the gas' to then trying to get down the spiral staircase still somewhat delirious. Grope wall, grope wall..usually with a big wad of blood soaked cotton hand to mouth. Outside his practise there were always blood spots on the pavement. Later I went to a Mr. Spencer , an Englishman, I think,in Saltcoats, much easier and quite horrified by my experiences. I worked with his daughter, a lovely girl, in the then Eglington cafe.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Stevenston dentist

Post by Vivc113 »

Think Maxwell was someone you either liked or didn't. A lady I went to school with found him difficult to work for.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Stevenston dentist

Post by John Donnelly »

Best dentist in the Three Towns was Mr. Moultrie in Hamilton St. (IMHO)

JD.
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

Totally agree John.
Idiot - seeks village.
sally40bags
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sally40bags »

Another vote for Mr Moultrie from me. I'm off to my dentist in Sheffield on Thursday to have a crown replaced, I had a wee laugh to myself when he said to me "gosh I can't read my dads writing" as it made me feel really old as it was his dad who put in the original crown 25 yrs ago!,

Sandra
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

VivAyrshire wrote:Think Maxwell was someone you either liked or didn't. A lady I went to school with found him difficult to work for.
I didn't dislike him, though his approach and practise was a bit rough. His daughters were lovely, and as I've posted before, he kept horses, Whisky and Sally, by my backdoor, that we fed an watered, lovely big animals.
C.S.Lewis
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

I can remember meeting him trotting along the country lanes and he always gave a cheery hello. If i remember correctly he once lived in a house on the road to the waterworks called Maxwellton Braes. It was a very attractive house unfortunately the roof blew off in a gale.It was replaced with a flat roof and the building looked like something from the communist block. He must have got fed up living in the country and he moved to the High Road . This house has a garage about the same size as the house. Morag you say he had a horse called whisky, well he did have the reputation of liking a dram. I suppose it helped combat all the germs he came in contact with.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

I never knew he could ride! He once told me he was scared of all the toothpastes on the market. Less business for him.
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

Yes but not up to Harvey Smith's standard. He was always pleading poverty and complaining about how little he received from the government for filling a tooth. However he would not extract a tooth if he could save it. I believe this was very important to him. Scotland 's teeth are still in a mess with the high sugar diet.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

My mum was absolutely stoic about our 6 months dental checks, so thanks, mum, and Mr. Maxwell, that I still have (almost) all my teeth. :)
C.S.Lewis