Ardrossan Medical Centre

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Ardrossan Medical Centre

Post by George Ardrossan »

Yesterday, construction work to change the old County Constabulary Station to Ardrossan Medical Centre started.

Details can be seen on http://www.s1ardrossan.com/news/work-be ... entre.html.

George
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan Medical Centre

Post by margb »

Well George, that sounds as if it will be really good to have a medical centre. What do you think about it? Will the residents think its too far from the centre if its down near the harbour?
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Margb

It seems to be a replacement for the South Beach Practice in South Crescent Road so it is possibly more convenient for most Ardrossan residents but further away for the Saltcoats people who use that practice. As well as being near the harbour, it is also on a good bus route and near two railway stations, a big supermarket, the library, Cecchini's restaurant and various shops. That part of town is already busy so it is probably a good location for medical services.

George
peterm1711
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by peterm1711 »

George Ardrossan wrote:Margb

It seems to be a replacement for the South Beach Practice in South Crescent Road so it is possibly more convenient for most Ardrossan residents but further away for the Saltcoats people who use that practice. As well as being near the harbour, it is also on a good bus route and near two railway stations, a big supermarket, the library, Cecchini's restaurant and various shops. That part of town is already busy so it is probably a good location for medical services.

George

It is indeed the replacement for the South Beach Practice.

This surgery has many Stevenston patients (like me), so it's less handy for people like myself who have used it since I was a wean. Mind you, I suppose it's just 3 more stops on a bus, or five minutes in time.

I recall an Ardrossan guy moaning to me about waiting ages for appointments, because of all us Stevenston punters on the patients' list.

He was stuck for words when I explained that was because it was ORIGINALLY a Stevenston Surgery.

It was Dr Lehey's Stevenston practice, which he moved from Stevenston to South Beach, probably in the early 60's, taking all his patients with him.

So keep that in mind, all you crabbit Ardrossan dudes :wink:
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Doctor Leahy actually had a practice in Glasgow Street before he moved to South Beach, and I think the doctors also held surgeries at Dr McCann's house in Ardrossan road before that, maybe someone with closer links on the site could confirm that :-)

Meg
Poppy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Poppy »

Yes you're right Meg. Dr McCann held his surgeries in the front room of his house in Ardrossan Road until the early 60's. I remember there was no receptionist and everyone sat around this huge table and hoped they remembered when it was their turn. the Dr's were McCann, Leahy and Griffen.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

peterm1711 wrote:[, so it's less handy for people like myself who have used it since I was a wean. Mind you, I suppose it's just 3 more stops on a bus, or five minutes in time.

:
Less handy?! I am a patient there too ..... do you realise the opportunities to be near ASDA when you visit as a patient? The opportunities for hot chocs/cakes/buns...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I need to increase my symptoms........

Right now, when I go there, I wind up on the beach if I am too early (wandering about, no shops nearby). Best thing the Surgery ever did was plan to move.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Poppy wrote:Yes you're right Meg. Dr McCann held his surgeries in the front room of his house in Ardrossan Road until the early 60's. I remember there was no receptionist and everyone sat around this huge table and hoped they remembered when it was their turn. the Dr's were McCann, Leahy and Griffen.
Thanks Poppy - the hint was actually to Mike McCann who is Dr McCann's son. Wonder if you remember the surgeries going on in your home whilst you were growing up Mike? Thing is, I dont ever remember the surgery being in Stevenston - that must have been in the very early 50s? Does anyone remember where it was in Stevenston?

Meg
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

It was next to the Pawn Shop in New St.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Wife remembers the surgery in Stevenston with Dr McCann, Leahy and other doctors, while I recall the same doctors at The Glasgow Street surgery in Ardrossan going back to the 1950s. I attended Dr McCann's evening surgery a few times in Ardrossan road Saltcoats - unsure if other doctors practiced there.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Yes, Dr. McCann had a surgery in New St. I also had an emergency run to his house having gashed my hand and it was latish but he took me in and stitched it up. A very kindly man. Later went to the South Beach practise, all told I think it was Drs. McCann, Leahy, Griffin and Harrison in my time.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

And the lady doctor, Helen Smith Morag. She was before Doctor Harrison - I wouldnt have taken her a broken paypacket any time!

Meg