Grocer in Hamilton Street?

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Grocer in Hamilton Street?

Post by stivis »

Cooper Wilkie had a Grocers in Hamilton Street,
What is that shop now?
It's not what was the PetShop a couple down from Hovepark?
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Grocer in Hamilton Street?

Post by down south »

Couper Wilkie's was at no 52 Hamilton Street, Stivis, and I think you're right that it was the part of the pet shop on the right of the picture here :

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Saltcoa ... 2,225,,0,0

There was a pet shop next door to it even back then, which has obviously expanded into next door at some point; it belonged in the sixties to the Moffats who founded A T Mays.

Susan
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

It was Moffat and Hamersley.....Hamersley had All-Pets
AT MAYS
All Travel Moffat At Your Service

Cooper Wilkie was a character,I remember walking to the Academy in the snow and him walking down the middle of Hamilton Street saying hello to all and wearing a kilt.......I guess it was 1970....and for any Car people he had a Uren Savage Cortina Estate( a serious piece of kit).......I drooled over
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

I think Cooper Wilkie was in Dockhead
street two doors down from the Maypole
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Like you maggie I remember a grocery store in dockhead st which I thought was willies. It was placed straight across the road from munro butchers. ATMays travel agents and the pet shop were definitely in Hamilton st. But dontremember a grocery store along there.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

I'm certain Hamilton Street may well have had another in Dockhead Street, it was Double type shop .
I mentioned his Cortina which he parked outside the shop,you couldn't do that in Dockhead Street.
If you work down from the War Memorial, Melbourne, Cavani, then J.C Roxburgh ,then who knows till All-Pets .
Wilkies was opposite McAullies
What was the Bridal shop before being a Chemist ?
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Please read here
http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 59#p124559
On my last posting I stated that Liptons sold coffee well I was wrong. My sister called me back and verified that Liptons was next to Woolies and they did have black and white tiles on the floor. Now I am going to throw another name into the fray
"WILKIES" they were the ones who sold the coffee. The were situated halfway
up Hamilton Street. Keep the names coming.

I'm never wrong about cars.......lol
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I think the Wilkie family business, a grocery was in Dockhead Street. Cooper opened a Delicatessen shop in Hamilton Street and his brother Lindsay had an estate agents round from the Regal booking office. I think the Dockhead family grocery had closed by that time.
After the delicatessen closed, I seem to remember Cooper being involved in a picture framing shop in Hamilton Street around the same area as the delicatessen.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Grocery in Dockhead was maybe the Maypole?
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

according to the link it was Liptons, although this quote seems wrong as to the location but I believe it's cleared up in the link somewhere
My sister called me back and verified that Liptons was next to Woolies
System of elimination
It wasn't Hoveparks as it didn't have steps
Nor All-Pets and Mays as they were there in 1970 in the same form as the posted picture
nor ,Melbourne ,Cavanis , or J.C Roxburgh
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

As I was trying to tell you earlier Stivis, the pet shop now is a lot bigger than it was back in the sixties and seventies; it's obviously been knocked in together with the shop next door, and that's the one that used to be Couper Wilkie's.

Wilkie's shop in Dockhead Street was at No 48, as it's been described, opposite Munro's; and that by the way is the grocer's that had the black-and-white patterned floor. The Maypole was next door at No 52; Lipton's was further along the street, a few doors past Woolworths, just opposite the bottom end of Green Street. Meanwhile ( just to confuse everyone further ) there was another grocery, Cooper's, just opposite Wilkie's...no shortage of grocer's shops in Saltcoats back then !

The Dockhead Street Wilkie's closed about 1967 or 1968, and was demolished to make way for Low's supermarket; it was after that, about 1969, that Couper Wilkie opened his delicatessen in Hamilton Street. Here in this post are an advert for his shop, and further down pictures of Lindsay and Couper Wilkie :

http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 788#p70788

Susan
Last edited by down south on Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pussycat
New Poster
New Poster

Post by pussycat »

never mind the grocers what about corner duncans it sold everything from a pair of knickers to a pair of curtains was that a department store or not.