Three towns to Kilmarnock

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Three towns to Kilmarnock

Post by Hughie »

George Ardrossan wrote:3 May 1899
TRAIN KILLS HORSE
While the 6 am train from Ardrossan to Kilmarnock was passing Springside Station on Wednesday
The above is from our topic 'Ardrossan - this day in History'. There is also mention of an Ardrossan to Kilmarnock rail service in 1962, that's in the pictorial book 'Ayrshire & Renfrewshire's Lost Railways' by Gordon Stanfield.

I have to say, I never knew such a service existed while I was growing up in Ardrossan. I thought we only had the A1 and SMT buses at that time between the three towns and Kilmarnock - anyone recall using this service? The 1962 service apparently used a Park Royal Railbus from Ardrossan North.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Three towns to Kilmarnock

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie,

A group of us from the Amateur Swimming Club at the 'Pool' used it in the winter months to go to Kilmarnock Baths. I think it was recommended by a boy, Bryden McGuinness, whose father maybe worked for British railways.

My recollection is that it was green coloured and seated around twenty.

You'll recall that the buses in those days, brilliant service as it was, did the old Ardrossan, Saltcoats, Stevenston, Kilwinning, Irvine, Dreghorn, Springside, Crosshouse, Kilmarnock route and took an age. The train was quicker and must have been cheaper or we wouldn't have been using it.

http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p74 ... #h3240510d
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

So when did the train stop going to Kilmarnock and what stations did it stop at when it was running?
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Margaret, I'd imagine it would have gone through the same towns as the buses and branch off at Kilwinning through Irvine, Dreghorn, Springside and Crosshouse. I'm guessing that the service was probably closed down by Beecham in the mid-1960s.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

I only wondered because by 1969-70 I went to Kilmarnock technical college for a year and was using the bus every day to get there. Like you hughie never knew there had been a train. Thank you
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

margb wrote:and what stations did it stop at when it was running?
Margb,

That's an excellent question! Before I posted earlier I was racking my brain to remember by which route the train travelled and where it stopped. I only remember South Beach, Ardrossan; Saltcoats; Stevenston; possibly Irvine and, of course, Kilmarnock. My only other memory is a delay one day in Dreghorn, something to do with a problem with a 'level crossing' situated on the road between Dreghorn Cross and Stanecastle, Irvine.

I don't even have a recollection of Kilwinning but the era we're talking about would be before the Beeching cuts and alternative lines would still be available?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Hughie wrote:Hi Margaret, I'd imagine it would have gone through the same towns as the buses and branch off at Kilwinning through Irvine, Dreghorn, Springside and Crosshouse. I'm guessing that the service was probably closed down by Beecham in the mid-1960s.
Hughie,
you are correct on all counts. I used the train often in the early sixties going to work in Kilmarnock but only in the mornings. (Times were not suitable for the homeward journey.) I think Johnboy may also have travelled on the morning train. The Crosshouse station may have been at Knockintiber. I never used,
but remember seeing the railbus.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

I was taken on the train to Kilmarnock several times when I was small, but I have only one fleeting memory of it; that of passing over a level crossing on the main street of Dreghorn, which I was more familiar with from travelling by road; and the strangeness of visiting that spot from such a different angle to usual. In after years when the railway had closed down, every time we drove through Dreghorn and passed the gap in the buildings I reminded myself " That's where the railway came through ".

PS Or that's what I THOUGHT I remembered....but it's now been pointed out to me, which I've confirmed by looking at a detailed map, that the line that crossed the main road at the level crossing in the centre of Dreghorn wasn't the main line to Kilmarnock, but a side-line serving a colliery. I must have got it confused with the other level crossing, but then as I say I was very young at the time.

But anyway looking at the old map where the railway is marked Meekan is right about there being a Crosshouse Station out just beyond Knockentiber, where the line met another equally vanished one that connected to the Garnock Valley .

Susan
Last edited by down south on Mon May 06, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

These are the topics that are good to talk about. Like myself, I'm sure there are others who had no idea that this line and others existed and were taken away. Who is beecham (a politician)? That's why forums such as these are so important because not only do they remind the living of what is a memory but they are a future reference/tool for future generations to come.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Margb, Not a politician, but chairman of the railway board.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_B ... n_Beeching
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

margb wrote:That's why forums such as these are so important because not only do they remind the living of what is a memory but they are a future reference/tool for future generations to come.
You hit the nail on the head with that statement, Margaret. :)

Hughie
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Hughie wrote:
margb wrote:That's why forums such as these are so important because not only do they remind the living of what is a memory but they are a future reference/tool for future generations to come.
You hit the nail on the head with that statement, Margaret. :)

Hughie
Totally agree, I have said so often "wish my mum/dad/gran were still alive so I could ask them about that". Spear the auld yins for family or town history, or we'll lose it.

Meg