Three towns to Kilmarnock

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Three towns to Kilmarnock

Post by sweet caroline »

There was a train station at Dreghorn.Coming from Irvine,up to crossroads in Dreghorn ,turn left for Bourtreehill,the station sat on the righthand side.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

I can remember going to Glasgow on the train in the early 1950's and stopping at Kilmarnock, coming or going on occasion, but I am unsure of the times or the frquency of stopping there, but that was not a specific Ardrossan to Kilmarbnock train of course. Alistair
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Thank you everyone for answering my questions. I've enjoyed this topic:)
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreghorn_railway_station

I used to use this station on a Saturday night to travel to Paisley to dance at the Cave.

SW

Edit-last train from Springside

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springside_railway_station

SC

Edit-Irvine Station and line to Kilmarnock

The station opened on 5 August 1839 as part of the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.[1] There was a branch leaving here for Crosshouse and Kilmarnock which closed in 1965.[2] During the electrification of the Ayrshire Coast line, Irvine station was partially refurbished, resulting in a glass front canopy on the main building and external ramp access to both platforms.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
scottyd
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scottyd »

My Dad and a number of Uncles were all engine drivers for British Railways.
I remember getting the train from Ardrossan South Beach loads of time in the 50s and early 60s to Kilmarnock.
I think the line was a victim of the Beecham cuts in the 60's and then it was the bus we had to rely on.
I worked in Kilmarnock and wish the trains had lept running - so much better than the bus.
I remember my Dad being in Kilmarnock Informary and we used to get the train to go an visit him.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

It was my impression that the busiest junction/signal box in the 3t's was this one in Stevenston. I can remember taking my life in my own hands traversing the main line and branch lines.
STEV station2.jpg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

margb wrote:So when did the train stop going to Kilmarnock and what stations did it stop at when it was running?
The train cut off towards Irvine via Dubbs Junction in Stevenston, which is still used in the present day by Hunterston coal trains. After Irvine Station it cut off at Irvine junction then passed through Dreghorn, Springside and Crosshouse. At Crosshouse the line split with the other line joining the line to Glasgow at Dalry. That part of the line was actually still in use for freight trains until the 1970's. It was also handy for diverting the odd passenger train coming from the south if there was any problems.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

According to today's briefs that tom post the line for passengers to be closed 9th September 1963.