Arran to be without power for up to 3 days ?

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Richard

Arran to be without power for up to 3 days ?

Post by Richard »

For those not in the know, news bulletins have just been announcing that, due to the bad weather,
the Isle of Arran is completely without power and will be for approximately 3 days.
They also announced that up to 25,000 homes throughout parts of Scotland are without power.
(the north of England & N.Ireland are also getting it bad, apparently).
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Arran to be without power for up to 3 days ?

Post by Vivc113 »

Shocking. The Island is STILL without power today.

Saw the Island for the first time since last week from the No. 12 bus this morning, and was shocked to see the complete blanket of white.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Richard

Post by Richard »

The latest update is that they are now talking the end of the week, "possibly", before power is restored.
VivAyrshire wrote:Saw the Island for the first time since last week from the No. 12 bus this morning, and was shocked to see the complete blanket of white.
:roll:
That was a good photo opportunity missed, Viv. Would have been nice to see that.
aland
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by aland »

been looking at the stuff on the internet and it is bad, as some of you know I worked on arran last year and know the hardships island life brings. Thoughts are with former co-workers still there. From the footage this is going to be a medium term project, there is big pylons down and countless smaller pylons. Plus as arran is fed from the 1 source the subsea cable coming in at lochranza and that area was the hardest hit. perhaps major investment is needed like a direct subsea cable from hunterston to brodick, should have been done in the 70's. needs to be done now.

also there was plans for a biomass power station at dyemill near lamlash, that got ko'd by NAC that needs looking at as does wind generation on the island
call me alan or al, labels are for tins of beans or soup not people. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

It's being reported here in Oz on Wed (27 Mar). What action/s have the authorities taken regarding the provision of:
a. hot food,
b. hot water (personal hygiene & disease control), and
c. domestic heating (even on a minor scale; e.g. paraffin heater & fuel x1 per household).

Children and babies would be hardest hit.
Q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'30"E

"What language are you talking in now? It appears to be Bo**ocks."
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

Saw it on the news last night
could not believe it only roof's of houses
I hope my cousin is okay and also
the rest of the people. Thinking
of them as it was my holidat Island'
with my Aunt and Uncle
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

It was strange driving into Saltcoats from Dalry a few nights ago around midnight, looking out to sea and seeing Arran in complete darkness.
Jim McCreadie wrote:I
a. hot food,
b. hot water (personal hygiene & disease control), and
c. domestic heating (even on a minor scale; e.g. paraffin heater & fuel x1 per household).
I believe power has been restored to the main towns, and most power should be back on tonight, albeit by temporary supplies.

There have been various locations around the island - hotels, halls, fire stations, which have been supplied with generator power, and hot food and washing facilities provided.

A number of mobile food unit (posh "burger vans"!) have been sent across from the mainland, and are supplying free food.

There was a letter in the herald today from an annoyed resident, demanding that the burger vans should be removed, as they were damaging local businesses.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

"An annoyed resident demanded the burger vans be removed as they were damaging local business" - TOSSER! :x Hopefully, someone told him / her where to shove his / her correspondence.

In times such as those, the community should be pulling together for the good of ALL and NOT the betterment of a few.
Q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'30"E

Richard

Post by Richard »

Jim McCreadie wrote:Hopefully, someone told him / her where to shove his / her correspondence.
HERE, HERE !
Jim, I think most of the Islanders are pulling together to get through this ?
On Wednesday morning I heard a story on the radio of a group of people who were aware of an isolated
and remote building on the Island. They managed to make their way to the property and made sure the
occupier was O.K. and had a hot meal inside him/her before leaving again.

Radio news bulletins have just announced that engineers have created a "secure, but temporary" system
which bypasses the pylons to restore the Islands power.
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Thanks Richard. Checking BBC World News on my iPad, I see the situation has improved.
Q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'30"E