the seventies

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

the seventies

Post by brian f »

hi all , does anybody remember the kilmenny ,commodore and ingledene hotel discos,in the late seventies,great times
Lynda
leading Poster
leading Poster

Re: the seventies

Post by Lynda »

Hi Brian and welcome to the site.
Yes I remeber all the ones you mention though for the kilmeny and Ingledeen we did go but were underage.I had my 21st in the commodore hotel many years ago.great nights out were had by all

linda
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

brian f wrote:hi all , does anybody remember the kilmenny ,commodore and ingledene hotel discos,in the late seventies,great times
What are your favourite recollections brian?

Meg
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

brian f wrote:hi all , does anybody remember the kilmenny ,commodore and ingledene hotel discos,in the late seventies,great times
Oh yep. Remember being just that bit too young to attend them, and being jealous of my cousin and her friend going on the Saturday nights !!!! Brings back the memories of them spraying perfume and hairspray all over the place !!! :cry:
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
boots1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boots1 »

can anyone help me witha date when this hotel closed down please i am intrested as i have a reletive that stays in the houses now on the site and there intrested when the hotel closed down and the houses went up
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Boots1

The dates below might help answer your question.

The photo of the Ingledene Hotel below was taken on 14 September 2002. The name is still above the door and there are parking bays and a billboard in the grounds. This suggests that the hotel was still trading on that date.

The photo below was taken on 9 April 2003. It shows the land behind the hotel being prepared for house building. This work started about a fortnight previously.
This photo of South Beach Way was taken on 27 September 2003. It looks that some of the houses are finished and the Hotel is surrounded with scaffolding.
The dates suggest that the Ingledene Hotel closed in late 2002 or early 2003. Construction of South Beach Way started in March 2003 and the first houses were complete about six months later. I guess the building programme finished around spring 2004.

I hope this helps.

George
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

I had my wedding reception at the Kilmeny on 16 March 1972. Left later that night for Glasgow Airport Hotel and the following day flew Aer Lingus to Dublin where I arrived "s**t-faced" //funny . "The following day" being 17 March - St Patricks Day + Aer Lingus + newly married couple - Jaysus, what a 35 minute flight that was!
Q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'30"E

"What language are you talking in now? It appears to be Bo**ocks."
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Jim McCreadie wrote:I had my wedding reception at the Kilmeny on 16 March 1972. Left later that night for Glasgow Airport Hotel and the following day flew Aer Lingus to Dublin where I arrived "s**t-faced" //funny . "The following day" being 17 March - St Patricks Day + Aer Lingus + newly married couple - Jaysus, what a 35 minute flight that was!
Must have been rough Jim ? hey hey and who said the Kilmenny was rough ? great place,in my visits :GP
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Honestly Brian, back then it wasn't a bad place at all. Or perhaps it was the group I chose to mix with; we were never into the "rough and tumble". Any "bad" drunks were normally left on the outer; without exception, we were all "happy" drunks - the way it should be!
Q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'30"E

morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Jim McCreadie wrote:Honestly Brian, back then it wasn't a bad place at all. Or perhaps it was the group I chose to mix with; we were never into the "rough and tumble". Any "bad" drunks were normally left on the outer; without exception, we were all "happy" drunks - the way it should be!
In my day the Kilmenny and Eglington were considered a bit rough along with a few others. The Lauriston was where your parents might go and the Ingledene a bit mid stream, where I and my pals went though we did try the others. The Red Herring at the top of Glasgow St. was popular in the 60's, had a trio from Greenock, I believe, very good, prior to that folk music, Aran sweaters etc.,it was always packed. By the 70's I was away.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

I too discovered The Red Herring - very "folksy" and enjoyable.
Q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'30"E

johndo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johndo »

where was the Red Herring, cannot remember it?