Ardrossan Harbour - Foundation Stone - 1806

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan Harbour - Foundation Stone - 1806

Post by George Ardrossan »

Penny Tray wrote:Does this mean that the foundation stone which I've never been able to track down, maybe is or was inside a building, and maybe even on the floor of such a building as opposed to a wall?
On 12 April 1892, there was a great celebration in Ardrossan to mark the opening of the Eglinton Dock extension to Ardrossan Harbour. The Ardrossan and Saltcoats Heralds of March and April that year reported extensively on the event. The reports can be read on http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 08#p105708.

One of the articles was a look back to the original opening of the harbour as given below.
On 31 July 1806, in presence of a crowd of interested spectators, the foundation stone of the harbour of Ardrossan, over the construction of which, powers had been obtained in 1805, was laid in a spot opposite the garden wall of the present Bank of Scotland buildings, the point which in those days connected the pier with the shore. Were the foundation stone to be opened, beside coins of the realm, a list of subscribers and the Acts of Parliament under which the work was to be executed, there would be found the following inscription. In the reign of the most gracious sovereign George III, the Right Honourable Hugh, Twelfth Earl of Eglinton, Lord Montgomery at Kilwinning, Baron of Ardrossan, Lord Lieutenant of the County of Ayr first suggested the foundation of a harbour and wet docks at this place to be connected with a canal to Paisley and Glasgow and afterwards under the patronage of and patriotic exertions of His Lordship, two Acts of Parliament have been past for carrying into execution these works so well calculated for the improvement and prosperity of the country on plans by Thomes Telford, esquire, engineer. William Blair esquire of Blair, Grand Master Mason of the Mother Lodge, Kilwinning laid the foundation stone of these works on 31 July 1806 and of the Æra of Masonry 5806. May Almighty God, the Grand Architect of the Universe, bless and prosper the undertaking and protect to the latest ages the name of Montgomerie.
The spellings of Montgomery and Montgomerie are as in the Herald article.

The foundation stone 'was laid in a spot opposite the garden wall of the present Bank of Scotland buildings'. In 1892, the Bank of Scotland was at the junction of Princes Street and Glasgow Street in the building shown below that until May 2011 was the Community Education Office.

The 'spot opposite the garden wall' is probably at the back of the building somewhere in the two photos below but there is no evidence of a foundation stone.
More images of the 'garden' of the Bank of Scotland building, the reported location of the foundation stone of Ardrossan Harbour, can be seen on http://www.ArdrossanPhotographs.net under Community Education Office in the left frame.

I have searched the 'garden' for the stone but cannot find it.

George
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

George,

Whilst frequently referred to as a 'foundation stone' it is described in the letter of 1806 as a "cavity" into which were deposited two bottles, Acts of parliament and an Inscription on Vellum. Is it not possible that you did discover that cavity as shown in your 'Community Education Office No. 14 photograph in the following link? The 1806 letter also suggest the cavity was then covered by an inscribed plate, presumably a metal plate.

What on earth would that cavity and the other masonry work above it be if not the spot we're searching for?

http://www.ardrossanphotographs.net/
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Penny Tray

The site of the foundation stone is starting to become clearer thanks to your observational skills.

Thanks for pointing out that the 'foundation stone' was in fact a cavity as described in the Glasgow Herald of 4 August 1806.
At three o’clock, the principal Foundation Stone, at the point where the Pier is connected to the shore, was laid by the Grand Master, with the usual solemnities. In this Stone were deposited, one bottle containing a List of the Names of the Subscribers to the undertaking, with copies of the Acts of Parliament under which it is to be executed, and a copy of the following inscription, written upon Vellum. This inscription is likewise engraved upon a plate which covers the cavity in which the bottles are deposited.

You might recall that on 1 July last year, in the Three Towns Datestone post, you wrote:
Like you, I've been wondering for some time now where the Harbour foundation stone might be located and whether it will simply be a plain stone or have an inscription. I have to suspect if there was a stone with an inscription one of us, as 'boys', would have found it long ago, unless, of course, it was it a part of the Harbour to which we didn't gain easy access, like the shipyard.

I had a 'proper' foundation stone image in my head so my mind was closed to the cavity idea. The photos below of the 'Bank of Scotland Garden' were taken in July 2011 and clearly show a cavity.
[Image

On reflection, I am inclined to cautiously agree that the cavity above could be the location of the Ardrossan Harbour Foundation Stone.

George
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

George,

As I said already, it's hard to imagine what else that 'shaped' cavity and the marks above would be. Let's now hope that someone in authority has the inscribed plate and the bottles, coins, Acts of Parliament and inscription on vellum as opposed to the site having been plundered by thieves.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

P.T. I'm not convinced with the theory, but unable to think what that feature could be. I recall reading that a master mason laid a foundation stone, this would suggest it was in a horizontal position. The cavity is vertical and mishap ed, not something a craftsman of that era would accept as a very public representation of a masons work. As for the plaque, I cant see any evidence of screw fixtures, then again, they might have used " no nails". :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

I found this mention in an old book. It must have bee quite a party:
"... on the 31st July 1806, being the anniversary of the birth of his eldest son, Lord Montgomerie, the foundation stone of the harbour was laid with more than usual masonic ceremony, and amid a vast concourse of spectators.
On the summit of the rocks Lord Eglinton caused tents to be erected, in one of which were tables for three hundred persons; there was also an elegant tent for the reception of the ladies. The freemasons of the ancient mother lodge, Kilwinning, with their Grand Master, William Blair of Blair, Esq., and a party of the Saltcoats Volunteers, with the band of the Ayrshire Rifle Battalion, proceeded from the town of Saltcoats, along the shore to Ardrossan. Before the procession arrived at the harbour, they were joined by the Earl of Eglinton, accompanied by a number of the most respectable gentlemen of the country and neighbourhood - by Mr. Telford, the engineer, &c. At the moment the procession, amidst crowds of spectators, arrived at the pier, the Countess of Eglinton, attended by Lady Montgomerie, and above fifty ladies of the first rank and distinction in the country, appeared on the point of an eminence near the old Castle of Ardrossan, which overlooks the bay. At three o'clock the principle foundation stone, at the point where the pier is connected with the shore, was laid by the Grand Master, with the usual solemnities. The Earl of Eglinton then addressed the company in a very neat speech, in which his Lordship stated that though, in the course of nature, he could not expect to see these works at the summit of their prosperity, he had no doubt that, long after he and many of those who had given aid to the measure were gone, the country would reap the advantages of them, and estimate their true value. Then, after a very impressive and suitable prayer was given by the Rev. Mr. Duncan, minister of Ardrossan, and immediately on a flag being hoisted in the adjacent mason's shed, where the stone had been prepared, a round was fired from eight field-pieces, placed near the old Castle, and returned from two of his Majesty's cutters, which were stationed in the bay, with twenty-one guns. Two tables, each a hundred and twenty feet long, were laid, and upwards of two hundred persons sat down to a splendid dinner, with choice wines, and every fruit of the season, provided by the Earl of Eglinton. After dinner several loyal and appropriate toasts were given. About seven o'clock, the Earl and his Countess proceeded to Eglinton Castle, where a splendid ball concluded the evening; at Saltcoats also various parties spent the evening in dancing and festivity"

I think LP is right. I don't think the garden wall can have been the place. Perhaps if you were to stand with your back to the wall facing the sea and walk towards the old dock you should find the stone (if it's still there).
Irene
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

LP/Irene,

You may both be right but unless we come up with a more precise description of the event or perhaps an artists impression of the ceremony or find a cavity elsewhere with the requisite articles in it we're going to have to keep on speculating.

LP, with regard to the Grand Master having "laid" a stone, all references are to him having laid the "principle" stone. This perhaps implies that there was more than one stone, whether horizontal or otherwise. If George's photograph is indeed at the correct location it looks as if a minimum of seven stones were required to create the "cavity" captured. I accept too that what you see today is not something any self-respecting stonemason would present to the Earl of Eglinton on such a prestigious occasion but I'm assuming the "cavity" would have been infilled with some sort of container, probably metal. It may even have had some form of self-locking frontage upon which the inscription was recorded and obviating the need for screws or other fixtures. We could play about all day with various possibilities :wink:.

Irene, I note you you emphasise the following - at the point where the pier is connected with the shore, was laid by the Grand Master, - suggesting, I think, that our location doesn't meet this criteria. I think we have to remember that we're talking about 1806 and don't know what pier is being spoken about or where the various shores extended in those days. There appears, for example, to have been a breakwater opposite Princes Street upon which people could walk; and there seems to have been a shore at some time right up to the frontages of the houses in Montgomery Street and the gable ends of buildings in Princes Street.

I've attached an old representation of the breakwater and an old photograph.

Elsewhere George found a version of your highlighted text preceded by other information, viz. ".....was laid in a spot opposite the garden wall of the present Bank of Scotland buildings, the point which in those days connected the pier with the shore."

http://www.ayrshireroots.com/Towns/Ardr ... edocks.jpg

http://www.ayrshireroots.com/Towns/Ardr ... rie_St.jpg
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

You're right, PT. Definitely not enough information.
Irene
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Richard

Post by Richard »

Sorry to have to throw a spanner into the works, but can I point something out for yous and make a
suggestion of my own. It's not much, but it may help with the elimination process ?????
I could almost guarantee that the cavities in the wall of the banks garden are NOT the location yous seek.
I'm not sure what their purpose is ? But what you can't see from Georges picture, of that wall, is that the
wall continues on, for some length, in the direction of the old Police station on Harbour Street.
And along the length of this wall there are 5 or 6 sets of these cavities. Suggesting to me that they may
be for construction techniques (a type of mortise & tenon joint, if you like) and/or some kind of
architectural feature ? It might help to know what once sat between the old bank & the old police station.
This may/may not be of any relevance to yous, but the Masonic sits directly opposite the old banks garden wall.

In my opinion, the foundation stone that you seek was crafted out of ONE large Sandstone block, hollowed
out until a cavity substantial enough to contain the items mentioned was created. Forming a type of box.
The items then placed inside the "box" and the "box" securely sealed shut with the engraved metal plate,
as a type of lid. Creating a sort of stone "time capsule".
This was all done, as we know, in the Masons shed. The "stone" was then transported to its
location for "laying". (Not factual...just my theory) ?????

Hope this helps and gives yous some food for thought.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Richard wrote:And along the length of this wall there are 5 or 6 sets of these cavities.
Just giving visual confirmation of Richard's statement.
Ard Bank.jpg
There have been many changes in the harbour area over the years and it may no longer exist, in saying that, if it was an official removal you would think that there would be a record of it somewhere.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Little Plum,

I think you're the man to crack this problem! Anyone who can find a thriving palm tree in Ardrossan..... :lol:.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I'm thinking it might have been wheeled out from the hot house for the photo. :lol: :roll: