Steve Clarke

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Steve Clarke

Post by mike mccann »

It was good to see Saltcoats man Steve Clarke alongside Kenny Dalglish in the televised Carling Cup Final which Liverpool won at the weekend.
He had a successful playing career with Chelsea winning several honours and when he moved to the coaching side has worked with Rud Gullit , Gianfranco Zola , Jose Mourhinho and now Kenny at Liverpool .
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Steve Clarke

Post by Mitchy »

mike mccann wrote:It was good to see Saltcoats man Steve Clarke alongside Kenny Dalglish in the televised Carling Cup Final which Liverpool won at the weekend.
He had a successful playing career with Chelsea winning several honours and when he moved to the coaching side has worked with Rud Gullit , Gianfranco Zola , Jose Mourhinho and now Kenny at Liverpool .
Agreed Mike. What a fantastic career he has had as an Assistant Manager. Nice guy as well.
howiesboy
Settling In
Settling In

Post by howiesboy »

Is he related to Jim Clarke who was signed by Celtic in 64 or 65 from St Michaels? Lou Macari, John Murray and one other signed by Celtic from St Micks at the same time.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

St. Mick's produced some fine players then. Jim and Lou were classmates of mine and both very nice boys. Another classmate, an excellent player and all round athlete was Jackie Logan, from Kilwinning, I don't believe he signed for a team though.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
westendcafe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by westendcafe »

The year after Macari and Clarke signed for Celtic Jock Stein brought a young Celtic team to play the school team on the playing fields. If I remember correctly Jim Clarke unfortunately broke his leg in that match against his former team mates.
"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

himself and kenny dalglish look as if they will be collecting their p45's shortly. the run of results lately have been abysmal, and i cant see their american multi millionaires putting up with it for much longer.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

howiesboy wrote:Is he related to Jim Clarke who was signed by Celtic in 64 or 65 from St Michaels? Lou Macari, John Murray and one other signed by Celtic from St Micks at the same time.
Yes, Jim is his Uncle.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Howiesboy,

Was the "one other" your were thinking about AIDEN McKELLAR from Ardrossan.

He's in the following photo (bottom right) along with Lou Macari and John Murray.

I still have nightmares about playing against them in schools football. Three great players.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... =141&ty=65" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

Penny Tray wrote:Howiesboy,

Was the "one other" your were thinking about AIDEN McKELLAR from Ardrossan.

He's in the following photo (bottom right) along with Lou Macari and John Murray.

I still have nightmares about playing against them in schools football. Three great players.
Aiden McKellar had a successful teaching career and was my music teacher at Secondary School. John Murray I believe had a very successful and prosperous career in finance.
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mike mccann »

I see Steve Clarke has just been appointed managar of West Brom ( his first manegerial post ) .
We wish him well !!
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mike mccann »

Excuse spelling errors ; eyesight not always great !
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

What a start to his managerial career with West Bromich Albion!

West Bromich Albion 3 Liverpool 0!

So much for Liverpool dispensing of his services at the end of last season :wink:.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.