Steve Clarke

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Steve Clarke

Post by mike mccann »

Yes, that was a great start Penny , let's hope he has great managerial career .
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Congratulations once again to Steve. His modest wee team, West Bromich Albion, was many people's favourite to be relegated this season but instead finished 8th out of 20, nestled, perhaps not surprisingly, behind the mega rich and star laden Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Everton and Liverpool.

And what an end to his season today - twice trailing the Champions, Manchester United, by three goals to finish 5 each.

Well done!
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

For those who wish to see an excellent interview with Steve after the 5-5 draw with Man Utd click here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22587106

Great to see him doing so well and he has had an excellent career in England overall. In fact, I don't think anyone else from Mayfield Road in Saltcoats has managed at a higher level :)
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mike mccann »

Yes, memorable way for Steve to round off a great season. Well done !
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Does anyone know Steve's father's name. It occurs to me that all the good 'Clark/e' football players in the three towns came from Ardrossan, not Saltcoats :wink:. I sense a resemblance to one Frankie Clarke, a gifted left footed player, who played for St. Peter's Primary and often plied his skills over the Dalry Road pitches. Frankie stayed at the Busbie Drive/Kirkhall Drive end of the town.

Incidentally, thanks to Mitchie for the television interview. A great down to earth performance from a Threetowner, no matter which town lays honest claim to him.
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mike mccann »

Steve's father is Eddie Clarke.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Thanks for that Mike. I can't claim him for Ardrossan then :( .
scottyd
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scottyd »

I remeber playing against Frankie Clarke in a junior league game.
Our manager told me to "stick close to him" and, as I always made up for lack of talent by following instructions to the letter I "man marked" him for the whole game.
It wasn't pretty but it was very effective - we won - but Frankie must have thought I was deeply attracted to him !
He was a really talented player who deserved to go further in the game.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Well done Steve Clarke credit to Saltcoats .
Watch out for your neighbours Aston Villa under Paul Lambert who blooded a team of youngsters and kept them up .
The new Ferguson has arrived.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

Penny Tray wrote:Thanks for that Mike. I can't claim him for Ardrossan then :( .
Different Clarke's PT. Steve's older brother Paul was the Kilmarnock Centre half in the early 80's.

Steve was the year below me at school and I was never on much more than nodding terms with him. He seemed a very level headed lad and I remember he finished his apprenticeship as an Instrument Mechanic at Beechams before going full time with St Mirren. He wanted the trade to fall back on if required.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

scottyd wrote:I remeber playing against Frankie Clarke in a junior league game.
Our manager told me to "stick close to him" and, as I always made up for lack of talent by following instructions to the letter I "man marked" him for the whole game.
It wasn't pretty but it was very effective - we won - but Frankie must have thought I was deeply attracted to him !
He was a really talented player who deserved to go further in the game.
Frankie Clarke was terrific. He is still the last Saltcoats Vics player to be capped for Junior Scotland. As I recall he was with St Mirren for a season but it didn't work out. His best days were with Irvine Meadow I think.
reidsville
Settling In
Settling In

Post by reidsville »

Spot on Mitchy and i beleive he is now married and lives in Tasmania
Cheers Reidsville