Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.

Where in the world do we live?

Three towns
30%
Elsewhere in Scotland
21%
England
16%
Other UK
2%
Europe other than UK
2%
Australia
12%
Canada
6%
New Zealand
2%
USA
6%
Others
3%

Total votes: 438

carolinebell
Settling In
Settling In

Re: Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Post by carolinebell »

Yip she has got it from your brothers photo. She says hi and hope life has treated you kindly.
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Hi Caroline,

You can tell mum life has treated me very kindly indeed, both in health and also in happiness. Can you give her my kind regards and tell her I hope she still looks like she does in the photo.

Wee Boney
carolinebell
Settling In
Settling In

Post by carolinebell »

Wee Boney

I will pass it on to her. Good that you are happy and healthy she is the same, a wee smasher. Caroline
Willy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Willy »

Hello,
My name is Will and I am in Canada where I was born and raised. My mother is Scot and came from High Blantyre. I joined as I have a couple of glasses that say "Jocks Ardrossan" on them that my Mom tells me were from her Uncle Jock's pub in Ardrossan.
I am unsure what his last name was but it may have been Seaton.
These are old glasses with very faded images as this time goes back a while. It may have been in the 20's or earlier.

I will take a picture of the glasses if anyone is interested.
I am looking for info on the pub and Jock.

Thanks,
Will
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Welcome, Will, There was a pub in Ardrossan known as Jock's Lodge in Glasgow Street. Maybe someone will be able to name the original publican. Would be good if you could show an image of the glasses. :)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Will,

There used to be a well-known pub in Ardrossan called JOCK'S LODGE, situated at 37 Glasgow Street. I'm not sure though if any of the owners over the years were called Seaton. In Scotland though, if we frequent a pub we tend to talk as if we own it. In other words when I lived in Ardrossan I would always say in conversation that my pub was the LAURISTON, meaning that was where I enjoyed a drink. My late father's pub was the Crescent Bar, but he didn't own it. It's possibly the case therefore that your Uncle Jock simply drank in Jock's Lodge, as would may other men called Jock (John).

Incidentally, if you word search SEATON on this site you make pick up something of family interest.

And it would be interesting to see the glasses you mention.

(I see Hughie has posted whilst I was typing).
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Looking up 37 Glasgow Street in old local directories available online, the publican in 1935 is given as John Shanks. His predecessors were George Stewart in 1921 and James Black in 1903, so I would guess John Shanks may have been the Jock who gave the pub its name.

Susan
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

down south wrote:Looking up 37 Glasgow Street in old local directories available online, the publican in 1935 is given as John Shanks. His predecessors were George Stewart in 1921 and James Black in 1903, so I would guess John Shanks may have been the Jock who gave the pub its name.

Susan
Susan, there are many times I miss my dad, but there are times I really miss being able to ask questions - and this is one - I think he used to call Jock's Lodge - 'Shanks' - ring a bell with anyone else or have I got that mixed up with another pub?

Meg
WeeSpoon
New Poster
New Poster

Post by WeeSpoon »

Hello all,
I'm Iain Wotherspoon. Found this site because my brother, Colin (must have been bored) was doing a Google search and told me my name was being taken in vain here. Turns out Susan and Jane had been discussing me a few years ago. We lived in Parkhouse Road, but moved up to Fairlie in 1963 when I was six, so I have only a few years of memories of Ardrossan and Saltcoats, although my mother's family--Milnes, Cuthbertsons and Irvines go back in the area a couple of hundred years.
Don't know if I have much to contribute, but it has been fascinating following some of the threads.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

A warm welcome to Threetowners, Iain.

I have to confess that having missed your ' second coming ' at the Academy all I really remember of you is how you looked in our Primary 2 class photo; no doubt you'll have noticed that's on the site, because it was mentioned on the same page.Must have been an interesting experience meeting so many of your half-forgotten former classmates again when you came back in fifth year.

Susan
WeeSpoon
New Poster
New Poster

Post by WeeSpoon »

Yes, Susan, it was interesting to see how people had changed in the nine years since I was at Ardrossan Academy; I, of course, still look exactly as I did in that Primary 2 photo!
Missed some people, too. Donald McColl and I had been really friendly; indeed, he became a legend in our family. He had been in hospital for some reason, and when he called at our house after he came out, Mum asked him how he had got on. The reply was "The food was ghastly; even the pie, Mrs. Wotherspoon!" Ever since, when anything didn't come up to scratch, my Aunt and I would chorus "Even the pie, Mrs Wotherspoon!"
Oddly, the people I got to be friendly with when I came back weren't those who had been in Primary with us. Did you know Oluf Olufsen before you left? Still in touch with him. He, Janice Galloway and I were all at Glasgow University together, and Janice was at that time engaged to Charles Smith, the son of my mother's cousin. Betty Smith, Charles's mother worked in Murchie's in Princes Street, and when we were wee she would give us a biscuit out of the big tins. You bought biscuits loose then, and the tins were set at an angle into wooden stands on the left as you went into the shop. hadn't thought of that for years, so the Three Towners website is dredging stuff up!
Best wishes,
Iain
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Yes, I well remember Oluf from shared classes, though I can't claim to have known him very personally. Of course he was also at the Academy Primary, but in the " February class " just ahead of us. I believe I heard something about him being involved with pipe bands ?...unless that was some other relative of the same name.

As for Janice, she was always a bit too fast for me....but I always thought she was someone who just might do something significant, and I've been delighted to witness her literary career.

Susan