Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.

Where in the world do we live?

Three towns
30%
Elsewhere in Scotland
21%
England
16%
Other UK
2%
Europe other than UK
2%
Australia
12%
Canada
6%
New Zealand
2%
USA
6%
Others
3%

Total votes: 438

particklady
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Post by particklady »

HI Hugh, thanks for letting me join Threetowners , I live in Saltcoats born in Partick Glasgow came to saltcoats every year as a child along with my 6 brothers sisters mum dad so when retired only place to live hubby and I bought lovely house ardrossan sadly hubby passed away and now I live Saltcoats love my flat and beach thanks again Sylvia
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Sylvia, nice to see you've joined us. Look forward to hearing more from you. :)

dodobird
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by dodobird »

Hi there My name is Rhoda Seaton Barrett and I live in the outskirts of Vancouver, BC, Canada in a place called Tsawwassen. I live with my dog crumpet and cat mayday and different family members coming and going. I have just become extremely interested in my family tree and hope to be able to hand it down the family line one day.. I am really want to get in touch with "just nancy" as she has come across some of my father's things.
I am looking forward to any communications that may come my way. Thanks Hugh for this web site. Cheers!
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Hi Rhoda, and a warm welcome to the Threetowners. I visited Vancouver during the Easter holidays and thought I saw signposts to your town on the way to Squamish from Vancouver city. Loved my time there.

There's another threetowner living in Whistler - again a fantastic place to visit - looking forward to your posts.

Meg
sandra mac
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by sandra mac »

:hi: hi every body. my name Sandra MAC DOUGALL I LIVE IN GLASGOW ORIGINALLY FROM ARD SALT IT WOULD BE GOOD TO GO BACK IN TIME
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

A warm welcome to you, Sandra. Hope to hear more from you shortly about your recollections of living in Ardrossan and Saltcoats. I've replied to your email. Again, welcome! :)
AnneP
New Poster
New Poster

Post by AnneP »

Hello,
I am Anne, now living in England for many years, but originally from Uddingston. My great grandmother Mary Norwood Millar was born in Saltcoats and my father and his sisters regularly visited family there. I remember being taken on a drive round the coast more than once as a child, and we used to go to Arran where my father's aunt had a boarding house in Whiting Bay. I was told that William Millar, my great great grandfather who was a fisherman at Old Ardrossan had his leg crushed between a boat and the quayside and had it amputed on the kitchen table and cauterised with tar - they made them tough then - he lived to be 80!
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Welcome to threetowners, Anne. You probably have relatives still living in the area that you didn't know about. Again, welcome, hope to hear more from you. :)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Welcome from me too Anne. I posted this recently on the 'This Day in History' topic. I suspect the William Miller quoted by the Glasgow Herald is your great-great-grandfather, William Millar - Miller and Millar often being confused?????

GLASGOW HERALD
5 JULY 1872

ARDROSSAN - SERIOUS ACCIDENT

On Wednesday afternoon an accident occurred at the Ardrossan harbour, whereby a labourer named WILLIAM MILLER, residing in Kirk Road, Saltcoats, lost one of his limbs.

He had been attending the slack chain of the steam-crane at Dyer's Lie, which was being used in the loading of coals, when one of the rollers caught and frightfully crushed his foot against one of the upright bolts fastened in the stone seat of the crane.

Miller was at once conveyed home, and in the evening the injured foot was amputated a little above the ankle.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
AnneP
New Poster
New Poster

Post by AnneP »

That's great, Penny - thanks - I'm sure you are right. William Miller was illiterate at his marriage and the family seem to have changed to spelling it Millar later on. He would have been about 39 at the time of this accident and lived to 80.
JohnTodd56
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JohnTodd56 »

Hi there,

I'm John, from Edinburgh. I used to holiday in Saltcoats and North Ayrshire when I was growing up and have family across North Ayrshire. I am writing a dissertation around the Irvine Bay area and stumbled across this site.

Thanks
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Welcome, John. Hope we can help you. Consider posting your queries on the subject in our Local Current Affairs forum. Again, welcome and good luck with your research.