Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.

Where in the world do we live?

Three towns
30%
Elsewhere in Scotland
21%
England
16%
Other UK
2%
Europe other than UK
2%
Australia
12%
Canada
6%
New Zealand
2%
USA
6%
Others
3%

Total votes: 438

WeeSpoon
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Post by WeeSpoon »

You're absolutely right about Oluf's pipe band connection. He became the drum major for a (I think) BB band; it was one of his pupils who asked him if he fancied it, and he did! Latterly, Oluf was head of English at Kilwinning Academy and he retired a couple of years ago. I reported this to one of the English lecturers at Glasgow University, and he was most miffed that one of his students had managed to retire before he did!

Bumped into Janice just before "All Made Up" came out, and she assured me she was changing some names--presumably to protect the innocent--or guilty! Not to worry either way; I am not in it. No mention of the film that Colin Archibald and I made starring Janice and myself dancing romantically in Fairlie Village Hall!
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

It sounded most unlikely when I saw it mentioned, but good on him, he obviously has talents I never suspected. There's even a picture of him here leading a Troon pipe band through the streets of Saltcoats for a Sea Queen parade, but it was never clear enough to identify him for sure.

Oluf becoming a teacher though is much less surprising.

And yes, I too was relieved to come off as unscathed as I did from Janice's book. Though of course anyone who was there at the time can identify most of the people, assumed names or not.

Susan
WeeSpoon
New Poster
New Poster

Post by WeeSpoon »

Yes, that's Oluf all right. I wonder if I got it wrong, and it wasn't a BB band he was asked to join but this Troon one.

Was in Ardrossan and Saltcoats yesterday having a wander about; the place looks so sad and neglected now, but had to go into Stark's in Hamilton Street to buy a magazine I didn't really need, just to thank them for keeping their stained glass screen at the back of the shop window. I'm afraid, I obsess about traditional shopfronts; they are so much better looking than the plastic/aluminium things we get foisted on us today.

I went down to take a couple of photos of my Great Grandfather in to the museum; he was a diver at Ardrossan Harbour, and the photos show him in his gear.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

That's interesting, Iain. I'm well aware through family legend of the comically cumbersome gear they had to have in those days, because funnily enough, my great-grandfather was a diver for a time too as a young man...but at Cardiff Docks, not Ardrossan. Though there are no pictures, alas...But then he made a complete change and went up in the world instead as a craneman, before later getting out of the docks altogether.

Susan
WeeSpoon
New Poster
New Poster

Post by WeeSpoon »

Susan,

Thought you might like to see a diver's outfit. This is William Milne, my Great Grandfather photographed at Ardrossan Harbour; he would be dressed exactly as your own Great Grandfather was. The knitted hat would be red, as that was standard for divers. However, what might not have been standard was the stiff collar and tie he is wearing underneath the diving suit; I suspect he was not working that day and had only put on his diving suit for the photographer, as I can't imagine him diving with full formal dress on although it would certainly keep him warm underwater!

Iain
Attachments
William-Milne-1.jpg
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Thanks very much for that, Iain. All we're lacking is the heavy helmet for the complete ensemble; but then if he was wearing that we wouldn't know who it was.

Susan
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by harrysteell »

Helmet is on the floor of the boat just behind the diver there is a helmet and air pipe on the floor.
WeeSpoon
New Poster
New Poster

Post by WeeSpoon »

One more bit of info about William Milne; he was the father of Peter Milne, the coalman.
AnthonyMarston
New Poster
New Poster

Post by AnthonyMarston »

Hello, I am writing from the US, and joined the forum because the wifey and I are 90% sure we are moving there. Looking to learn as much as possible! I have enjoyed reading so far.
AnthonyMarston
New Poster
New Poster

Moving there

Post by AnthonyMarston »

Hello - my name is actually Andrew and I am US born Scottish raised a bit in Lanark and Bearsden, then travelled, raised more in US, and now moving back to Scotland at mid-life. Finally!! I am hoping to move with my wifey to The Threetowns, along with my small craft workshop. We want to be by the Sea and also prefer a laid back weekend sort of environment. We are very much looking forward to getting there this summer or fall, because I have never been to the Threetowns, just around all about the rest of Scotland.
longislander
New Poster
New Poster

Post by longislander »

Just came back to life........

Posted 2 years ago trying again......

Doreen McFadzean from Carment Drive, Misk Knowes and Hayocks Road looking to reacquaint with with anyone who remembers me or wants to remember me.......including June Bulley, Margaret Hayman, Isabel Boyd, Anna Cook, Betty Mackay and all the Scottish Country Dancers from that era from Higher Grade......

Still living on Long Island and retired.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Not from the Higher grade, but think there' a photie posted of our wee group dancing.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis