Have you ever climbed Goat Fell on Arran?

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.

Have you ever climbed Goat Fell on the isle of Arran?

0. I've never climbed Goat Fell.
41%
1. I've climbed Goat Fell once.
20%
2. I've climbed Goat Fell twice.
9%
3. I've climbed Goat Fell three times.
5%
4. I've climbed Goat Fell three times plus.
16%
5. I'd be interested in a climb in 2012.
9%

Total votes: 44

Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Have you ever climbed Goat Fell on Arran?

Post by Hughie »

Hope this question sparks a wee bit of interest. We haven't been using our polling feature as much as we should. So please consider it when starting a new topic - use our member's practice area if you are unsure.

So, have you ever climbed Goat Fell?
Should local threetowners consider a group climb in the Summer of 2012? Submit your vote above.
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Re: Have you ever climbed Goat Fell on Arran?

Post by calleytwo »

Ah once looked at it as a wee boy on Arran and got tired oot jist at the thought of it! Wee Ali :roll:
belle
Settling In
Settling In

Post by belle »

Hi Hughie,
You need another option for those who have tried, some of us more than once, but have never made it to the top.

Elizabeth
Townsville
JimMcCub
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JimMcCub »

My wife and I climbed it one time .Years after we said we would ,I had a wee health scare, and after that it gave us a kick in the bum to actually do the things you should. We are really happy to have climbed it , It was amazing ! :D :D :D
BigIan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BigIan »

Aye, done it many times, also flown on quite a few rescues to bring people back off the mountain!

Hmmm, a walk up in 2012? only if someone pushes the wheelchair! :lol:

I could always sit at the bottom getting the brew and food ready for everyone who makes it back down.... :mrgreen:
Ardrossan weather forecasting: If you can see Arran it's about to rain, if you can't see Arran it's already raining. Simples! :D
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

How long does it take in total(roughly)to walk up and back down?
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

Yes I have climbed Goatfell twice, first time with my Brother and two cousins, My Father and uncle. I was eight years old. At the time we were camping at the Mann Burn in Corrie. The following year we camped in the same place and again climbed Goatfell which i believe is 2866 Feet high. I have a photo of us kids on top, but i'm not sure how to post it.
George F
Image Image
The first photo was taken with an old box Brownie on top of Goat fell in 1945 about two months after the end of world war two. The people are, Left to right, Ian Fleming, Andrew Dickson, George Fleming, Uncle Andrew Dickson, Logan Cowan. The other photo is of our camp site at the Mann Burn, which is the first wee burn you come to, just before you reach Corrie when driving from Brodick.
Last edited by Hughie on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

georgeflemingard wrote: I have a photo of us kids on top, but i'm not sure how to post it.
George, if you can post it to me at hugh.mccallum@gmail.com I'll insert it into your post above.
GEODGC wrote:How long does it take in total(roughly)to walk up and back down?
Roughly from what I recall it took four hours to get to the top and probably around two hours to get back down - that's from the last time we did it in 1963. We attempted it again in 2007 but the clouds dropped and we had to retreat. Still it was a memorable day. This was us in 1963 aged 21 years. Oh my how the time goes. :roll:
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Any Threetowner, who is fit, and hasn't yet ventured to the top of Goat Fell should seriously consider it. You won't regret it. And every time you look over thereafter the sense of achievement will be immense. The time it takes depends on yourself. I've found that if I'm in a group it takes longer and Hughie's estimate of 4 hours up and 2 hours down is both sensible and reasonable. Alone or with a colleague you could substantially save on these timings but it's never as much fun as in a group. Up until now too, I've always walked round to the Brodick starting point and this adds an hour either way. I suspect that I might now use my bus pass. I also like to keep myself free of driving commitments at the Ardrossan side so I can enjoy a big, cold pint, or two, on the homeward sail.

You may have noticed too that I have avoided the word 'climb'. There is a well worn mountain path most of the way and a 'scramble' towards the summit as opposed to a 'climb'. The thought that there is an actual 'climb' involved sometimes, I think, puts people off. Any gear you require you probably already have.

And even if you don't make it to the top the views on a clear day can be stunning. I would be disappointed too if I didn't see deer in their natural habitat, albeit from a distance.

Count me in every time!
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

The weather is approaching again when threetowners who haven't climbed err... scrambled up Goat Fell (thanks, Penny) should consider this magical experience. Jeezo! Looking out towards Arran every day as you walked to school (weather dependent) how could you not want to get over there and have a go if you are able?

This is just a wee prompt to urge you to make this wonderful excursion - just check the weather forecast. And, if you do make the trip, come back and tell us.
:puter
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mike mccann »

Never tackled Goatfell but during my working life I reckon I have crossed the bridge at South Beach Station over 7000 times .
How many credits do I get ( if any) for this sterling feat? :)
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I,ve gone up it once in the 1960's and flushed some ptarmigan on the way up.